QT tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougaran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok you have your fish in qt and he gets better so you reintroduce him back into your tank..What about the qt tank? DO you dump the water and its diseased contents? what about the sponge filter?

i don't think there will be any use for the diseased water unless you want to treat another fish from the same tank with the same disease. Otherwise the water should be dumped, rinsed the tank with hot water and let it sit for awhile with the sponge filter in it.

empty the tank and clean it well. You can use a VERY light bleach water solution, but make sure you rinse rinse rinse. If you are going to store the tank empty, I am not sure what you would do with the sponge. If it were me I would just throw it out and use a new one when you need it.

I would get rid of the water and the sponge too. I suppose you could also clean the sponge with bleach, and rinse, rinse, rinse. The whole purpose of the small QT is to be able to tear it down and set it up with ease. You could run the cleaned or new spoge in the main tank to colonize it before your next use.

I would also dump the QT water. Fill the tank with water and a little bit of bleach. (when I sanitized my 5 gallon tank, I filled with water and put 3 cups of bleach in). Allow that to sit overnight, empty and fill the tank with tap water and a 3 or 4 times the dose of dechlorinator for that size tank. For my 5 gallon tank, I added enough dechlor for a 20 gallon tank. Rinse for about 5 minutes. If you still smell bleach, rinse some more. As mentioned, you could also soak the sponge in the bleach water, but I get a replacement sponge. The type of sponge filter that I buy (Azoo) has replacement sponges that you can put onto the filter assembly, so you can easily clean the hard surface of the filter and get a new sponge cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom