Queries about swimbladder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

My calico ryukin has a deformed swimbladder and has always hovered upside down near the bottom of the tank or laid upside down on the gravel. Recently, he has managed to right himself but not can't seem to stay below the surface. Everytime he tries to swim down he bobs straight back up to the surface like a cork. Is this how swimbladder issues progress or does it mean it is getting better/worse?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

:thanks:

Princess1982 said:
Hi All

My calico ryukin has a deformed swimbladder and has always hovered upside down near the bottom of the tank or laid upside down on the gravel. Recently, he has managed to right himself but not can't seem to stay below the surface. Everytime he tries to swim down he bobs straight back up to the surface like a cork. Is this how swimbladder issues progress or does it mean it is getting better/worse?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

:thanks:

I don't have your type of fish but I recently purchased a female Betta that couldn't swim down, she would bob straight back the surface & when you looked down on her she was S shaped. I fasted her a day, fed 1 pellet the next day, fasted the next, fed 1 pellet the next again & within 5 days she was swimming around with no problems. What is your ryukin's diet? Do you feed shelled peas? From what I've seen from other members on here that should be part of the weekly diet. Some people will fast their fish for a few days when it happens & if that doesn't work feed the shelled pea.

Hi Princess! I wish I could offer you a miracle cure here but there isnt one. I would not say this is how sb issues progress but my ryukin followed the same course, going from a negative buoyancy to a positive buoyancy over the course of 8mths. Other fish have followed strictly positive or strictly negative and never deviated. If you have an aquatic vet, they can perforate the the sb to temporarily help with floating or offer more complicated surgical procedures. The issue with a fish remaining at the surface is that the part of their body constantly exposed to the air will dry out & lose its slimecoat and be subject to infections and sores. Unfortunately, you will need decide at what point quality vs quanity life is an issue here. I am sorry about your guy and wish there was something that would solve this issue with fancies. :(

Thanks both. I think it's more a case of a deformed swimbladder rather than some food related issue. I've had the fish for a long time and tried various things like shelled peas, special food, even parasite medication. My fish do get shelled peas and veg regularly as well as live food. It has been this way for months and unfortunately there has been no change.
JLK - I will see if there is an aquatic vet near me. I guess I have always hoped it would just rectify itself over time and am worried that the stress of an operation would be too much for the fish. I recently lost my beloved red cap oranda out of the blue so really don't one to lose another fish. Totally heartbroken :-(
When he is at the top of the water he is still underwater. Only the very tip of his dorsal fin seems to be above water level. I will monitor him and decide what course of action to take.

Thanks again both.

Good luck, Princess! Please let me know how things go with an aquatic vet. I am always reading and researching for better/other options for fancies with buoyancy disorders. Perhaps you will find a vet that has a new alternative to the existing options out there!!!

Back
Top Bottom