Question about fin rot on my Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering whats going to be better for my oscars, changing the water or keeping them in the API fungus cure medication (i changed the water this morning about 30% and added seachem fungus treatment... at 10pm this evening i added the API)...It is a cycling tank so I use amquel to keep the ammonia down and i do PWC every couple days. Both have finrot and it seems a bacterial infection. Both have refused pellets and only one will eat black worms and this has lasted the last couple days ever since i moved them to a new tank.. They are mad at me i seems too... They absolutely loved their old tank, not to found of their new one. :/

They're suppose to be in the medication for 48 hours with another dose on top of that. Which is 96 hours of no water changes... will amquel be enough to keep them safe?

Are you sure you can't do water changes while medicating? I recently treated my betta (cycling tank) for fin rot using Maracyn 2. I was told it is okay to do a water change every day before medicating if that is what is needed to keep the parameters in acceptable limits. The reason being that each dose of medicine loses most of its effect after being in the tank for 24 hours. The amquel will help keep the ammonia down, but frequent water changes and medication are by far the best treatment for fin rot.

I'm wondering whats going to be better for my oscars, changing the water or keeping them in the API fungus cure medication (i changed the water this morning about 30% and added seachem fungus treatment... at 10pm this evening i added the API)...It is a cycling tank so I use amquel to keep the ammonia down and i do PWC every couple days. Both have finrot and it seems a bacterial infection. Both have refused pellets and only one will eat black worms and this has lasted the last couple days ever since i moved them to a new tank.. They are mad at me i seems too... They absolutely loved their old tank, not to found of their new one. :/

They're suppose to be in the medication for 48 hours with another dose on top of that. Which is 96 hours of no water changes... will amquel be enough to keep them safe?

UPDATE:
It seems to be getting worse and i don't know what to do...Here's a picture of what he looks like..
img_1341246_0_2aafa041858882a2e1fc170701de7c8e.jpg

What makes you think they have a bacterial infection? I would start doing large daily water changes around 50%. I would ditch the meds and try to get the water quality up. The reason you don't see this in nature in the endless clean water. Go to the store and purchase Seachem Prime for you water conditioner and start changing water.

It's all related to water quality. Cycling with fish who poop a little is a bad idea as you need to do water changes a lot, cycling with an Oscar is a REALLY bad idea (they poop a lot), then taking into account you are not doing them because of the medication means that you are compounding the problem.

A fish can recover if the water is good, but as you're cycling with a sick fish you really have a double whammie. I don't think the fish will be OK. :(

Well ammonia is at 0 and has been since I've started. Nitrites and nitrates are also at 0. So it's not the water. I already do daily water changes.. What makes me think that they have a bacterial infection? The fact they haven't eaten in a week and a half.

I don't want him to die. :( I'm working my butt off to keep him alive and nothing seems to be working... I think he's lost the will to live :/ Ever since I moved him he's not been the same :(

Here's a picture of my other oscar in another tank... This tanks ammonia is at about 1ppm daily (when i wakeup, I do a water change immediately) as you can see this tank is doing absolutely amazing..

img_1342106_0_1f8312f2afd0ff00e9e69f938147f29f.jpg

It's so odd, this tank is worse water quality but everything is thriving... The funny part about all of it is I used the eco system in a bag for the other tank.. I wonder if that came with some unwanted diseases.

Fin rots number one cause is poor water conditions, second being stressed from other fish like fin nipping. This all started with fish being in the tank during a cycle. There's not alot of other fish that produce waste like oscars, and compound a cycle in there is the cause of fin rot. Keep up the water changes and maybe add Melafix and hope for the best. These fish can go for a month without eating so that's not a major concern yet.

If nitrates and nitrites are both 0, your tank is not cycled, so there is a problem with your water.

And whats the problem then...? Ammonia is 0 too... I understand the tank is not cycled [moderator edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
A fishes immune systems is strong. In an aquarium fish come into contact with so many parasites and diseases but their immune system is strong enough to keep them healthy. Now when a fish is stressed their immune system weakens. Causingthem not to be able to fight of the sickness. When a fish is already sick, stressing them out would be a bad thing i.e. Moving them to a new tank. But that's not the issue really. If a fish is in once again POOR WATER they become stressed, which weakens the immune system. If a fish was to get a scale caught or a fin nipped the chance for fin rot etc. would be greater.
Now why does your other tank have ammonia levels if it's so awesome? In my eyes its not even cycled or you did something wrong. Another thing don't say people should get cancer like what is your problem it's your fault your fish are sick, nobody elses. Did you even cycle your original tank before you put in your oscars and why does the water look likes there white chunks floating around?

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said. Plus, I would question your testing. If you're using testing dip strips they may not be reading correct.

Back
Top Bottom