Question about Treating Ich with high temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I re-read Allivymar's ich article (great reference, thanks Alli).

How do I know which fish can stand temperatures above 86F? Specifically, talking about platies, guppies, and a rosy barb. (and if you happen to know how much salt each can handle, that would be great too!)

Thx in advance!

When I dealt with ich a month or so ago, I followed Alli's advice on slowly moving the temp up to 87-88 over a couple of days. I didn't put as much salt in because I have two cories. My mollies and platies seemed alright with it, though they hung out at the surface more; but when I added the long airwand at the back of my tank they were definitely happier and back to their old selves. After a couple of days the ich didn't seem to be budging at all (at this point a couple of the platies started showing it, too), so I got kind of nervous and cheated and used some kind of malachite green med for about 5 days. The spots disappeared within a couple of days, but I kept the temp high for 2 weeks. Been ich-free since!

I know the livebearers love the salt anyhow, but catfish and other scaleless fish don't deal too well with it. Dunno about barbs, though.

Back
Top Bottom