Questions about an older blind goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
ForumRunner_20120404_205258.jpg

I've been worried about this guy for a long time, but even though he is blind he won't sit still! He seems to have a couple problems. He's 6 or 7 years old, and has cataracts over both of his eyes. He's had them for over a year, and I thought he was completely blind, but he seems to react to the flash on my camera phone.

Today after a routine water change, I noticed some blood in the eye socket, seemingly in front of the cataract. It looks like the veins in the eye are trying to supply blood to the surface of the cataract, since it isn't pooling or anything.

Do you guys think he just hit the eye or something? I'm worried that he's in pain.

Also, as you can see in the picture I think, his gill just on that side is rather flared. This has also been like this for a very long time, and it is on both sides, though one is worse than the other. Does anyone have any insight as to what's going on with this guy?

Also as far as tank parameters go:
Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are between 5-10ppm
pH is sitting around 7.6

I've been watching the ammonia closely since I added some fish two days ago.

Poor guy! I suspect he may have bumped his eye with his visual impairment. I would just keep a close watch on it for any changes/deterioration and make sure you are providing him with a safe environment (nothing sharp/pointed, etc). Make sure he is able to get his own share of food at mealtimes.

If his gills have looked like this since you acquired him, there is little that can be done. Keep your water healthy is the best advice that I can offer here. If he seems happy & healthy otherwise, I wouldnt worry too much. Please dont hesitate to ask any questions!

I always watch to make sure he gets food, and he seems to eat well enough...

As for the gills I'm not too sure. I call him my little retard fish, because I bought him at a wall-mart, and he has the body, face, and size of a common goldfish, but the 3-lobed tail of a fancy goldfish. I'm wondering if it was bad breeding, and his gill plates developed like that with age. Can that crossbreeding even happen?
My other goldfish never developed the curling. (Which i guess can be caused by low oxygen and bad water?) Either way, the other guys are fine.

Any breed of goldfish can breed with another breed of goldfish. Basically, the same thing as breeds of dogs- different breeds can reproduce quite easily.

Curved gill plates & non-typical tails for specific breeds of goldies are usually considered physical faults & are generally culled by breeders. However, as a walmart fish, he was likely mass-produced & the product of poor breeding practices. Its not his fault & as long as you are giving him a happy, healthy home, thats all he really needs! :)

That's good. He's swimming around in a 120 gallon happy healthy home! The other goldfish never pick on him either.

And people say goldfish are dumb... :-D

I'm unsure. He swims around his environment well enough, he sometimes bumps into things but it is very rare. It's weird, that's why i was wondering if his body was trying to remove the cataracts with increased blood flow. He's an odd guy.

Back
Top Bottom