Questions about ich/ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalChica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I recently got 2 threadfin rainbowfish and I noticed one had 3 ich on him, they are still in the quarantine tank and I treated it for three days in a row with hikari ich-x and have the temperature at 84 but he still have the same three ich on him.. this is my first time w ich and I read/youtubed a lot of different things and saw that aquarium co-op said that you cant kill the ich that is actually already on the fish and those ones will just have to die off and the treatment just ensures no more attach to fish or multiply.. is this right? Does that mean that I won't see those leave until they die? Does anyone know how long that takes or of I should keep treating? Also he isn't acting too weird or too sick but he has been eating less than the other one, who is smaller, and he does spend more time on his own by the filter.

I would suggest treating him for atleast a week and reassess the tank and fish . Also if u have any charcoal in your tank it will essentially be filtering out the medication so do take out any charcoal filters you may have in currently. And that is accurate with ich you will need for them to die to fall off the fish . 20% water changes weekly will help rid the tank of the dead parasite.
Also in my experience the temperature is too cool at 86 to really do anything beneficial. I would suggest removing all fish (if u haven't alrdy) and get your tank above 96 . That will really help kill any ich left .

Thank you! They are still in the quarantine tank and that has no charcoal in the filter since I mainly use it for meds and they are the only two fish there so on that end I think its okay.. I dont know if you saw that part, I just got them. I was afraid to turn the heat up anymore bc they are rainbowfish.. I just went 2 degrees over their max.. you think that's okay to just raise it up? Thank you for your help!

Oh my mistake . Yes I wouldn't turn it any higher with them in the tank as it will likely not be great for them . I was under the impression you had ich in your main tank as well as on the fish in the quarantine tank . Higher temperatures help speed up the life cycle so warmer the better but if the fish will be in there then definitely don't go much higher then what you've mentioned. I've also heard adding a bit of aquatic salt can help but I have never tried that method.

Thank you so much.. I am so confused bc now I also see one on the other one.. maybe I missed it.. I'm trying to be patient but I get so nervous!

Back
Top Bottom