Questions regarding medications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that's one of the problems with relying on forum threads for such information - it's the blind leading the blind in many cases. I'm glad you contacted API, and I wish more people would instead of being content with other people's assumptions. I've heard all the warnings you keep mentioning, but have never seen anything to substantiate them. Just a lot of parroting.

I'd certainly be interested in what they say. I've read through the patent - pretty sure gouramis were tested. It's too late here to wade through again so have posted link :)

I'm not convinced there is any more danger to labyrinth fish compared to using it on other fish. It has certainly killed otherwise healthy fish I had but that is a risk with any med.

I've seen posts from API in other threads that don't raise this as a risk with bettas. Of course you'd expect that but the post tone was pretty definite there were no cut corners.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...6,537,591.PN.&OS=PN/6,537,591&RS=PN/6,537,591

Yes they have done extensive testing on all kinds of anabantoids, including wild type bettas, ctenopomas, and chocolate gouramis.

, so I think you may be wrong.:confused:
The only difference is the product has been pre diluted.

Betta fix was designed for Bettas as they recognised the potential issues here.

(Named after the most popular species, that's all)

, how is it possible that this product isn't designed for the genus?

I'm not wrong - I'm telling you what the API representative told me, which is going to be what they tell you as well.

The potential issue you speak of is overdosing, which has nothing to do with the species of fish. Overdosing has to do with the volume. It's named bettafix because bettas are kept in such tiny tanks, but it's not made specifically for bettas. It doesn't matter if you have a betta, a neon, a guppy or a bala shark - if you're keeping it in a critter keeper, then bettafix is the product to be used. One would not use Melafix on their 1 gallon tank because they have a guppy in there instead of a betta....

I'm already doing most of what is said here regularly. However, I found mixed results from people who use salt for a cories tank.
Also I'd like to have a strong medication on hand since my fungus infected cories usually don't last more than two days for improved tank condition to make any difference.

How's it all going?

It is perfectly possible and safe to use a 100% melaleuca in any volume of water. You just vary the concentration volume. This is made into a dose by measuring out sufficient to "treat" the system.

Quick question for anyone (you must have some handy)
What is the concentration of melaleuca in betta fix?
What is the prescribed dosage?

Overdosing is prescribing more of anything into any volume.

The volume of the recipient tank is inconsequential. Careful measurements.

I most certainly would use mela fix in any system. If I had a pond id have pond strength only, I'd use that. I'm not buying several versions of the same thing at different concentration.
(slightly off topic I used pond strength dechlorinator because it was cheaper, you use less for a similar price by volume therefor it is cheaper long term.) I use double strength malachite green, I use that in all of my tanks from 45 litres up to 750 litres. Same bottle. No problems. It's sold for large volumes but I've had no trouble using it in much smaller volumes, careful precise measures.

You can use what you want, it is not my place to dictate where and how you spend your money.

(The most annoying thing about this whole thread,
my auto spell keeps writing meal fix)

Considering this,
"I've never lost a cycle because of medications. The Pima and Melafix aren't really medications anyway - they are more remedies. I personally have next to no faith in them. All too often people use them when they should be using real medications. Of course that's not to say that they don't work at all, but there are definite limitations to what they can do."

You seem to be quite passionate about the whole affair, it seems to me that you are changing tracks slightly throughout, it is somewhat confusing. You're telling me what I'm telling you. Please take the time to re-read this thread.

(Looked at the link, for pimenta, I guess that's in pimafix?)
One for melaleuca would be good.
Patent US5882647 - Aquatic animal treatment method and composition containing cajeput oil - Google Patents cajeput oil patent.

Ta da!

Also species of fish is important, something called tolerance. Even within a species group tolerance can be quite different, that's why some fish die first.
Now let's talk about species sensitivity. Not all species are equal. Need I say more?

I've been nothing but consistent throughout this entire thread.

As I have said time and again, the volume of the tank is extremely important with regards to proper dosage. There is an enormous difference between the ease of measuring out one dosage versus 1/10th of a dosage. Of course one can administer a proper 1/10th dosage provided the right tools for the job. No one is disputing that. But rather than enclose a pipette to go with the bottle, the company thought it would be better to just make it easier to administer a proper dose.

Message sent to FishcareUK.TechServices@effem.com

Hello,

Can you give me some technical data on the melafix range please.
I'm looking for dosing/concentration information and if possible some live test data on the three marketed products, betta fix, mela fix and pond strength.

I have trawled the web and I can't find any conclusive scientific research on this product.
I'm looking to see what species it was tested on and would like to see the mortality data if possible.

Thank you in advance,
Jamie

(API is owned by this company) APIfishcare.
I also sent a request through the API website but I am unable to copy/record as it wasn't sent through my mailbox.

More to follow. . .

Hello,

Can you give me some technical data on the melafix range please.

I'm looking for dosing/concentration information and if possible some live test data on the three marketed products, betta fix, mela fix and pond strength.

I have trawled the web and I can't find any conclusive scientific research on this product.

I'm looking to see what species it was tested on and would like to see the mortality data if possible.

Thank you in advance,

Jamie

(API is owned by this company) APIfishcare.

I also sent a request through the API website but I am unable to copy/record as it wasn't sent through my mailbox.

More to follow. . .

That's what you sent out?

Ask them for the LD50 numbers for the various types of fish - that will answer your questions about differences in sensitivities.

Hey, the fish are ok! That's good news.

Well done D, classic interception!
TDP.
(Sorry we ended up in debate on your thread)
(It is completely friendly! Just putting it out there)
We are not at war!

Hey, the fish are ok! That's good news.

Well done D, classic interception!

TDP.

(Sorry we ended up in debate on your thread)

(It is completely friendly! Just putting it out there)

We are not at war!

Still interested in the company response though.

Other threads have talked about convulsions and horrible deaths for bettas with mela and pima but there has been nothing consistent I can see. Somewhat frustrating. Some of the tank sizes though that are mentioned - 2 and a half gallons, etc. It wouldn't take much to get a dose wrong.

Thanks for contacting us with your question -

Despite the rumors (I really don't know why the rumors persist), Melafix and Pimafix are fine for all labyrinth fish, anabantoids and otherwise.

Thanks and best regards,

Hello Dave,
Thank very much for your response, really this much is great.
Yes I believe the same but I was trying to find some actual test results, I found a patent for cajeput which seems to suggest some tests were carried out but i would like to read the actual paper.

I'm one of those internet types but I'm a keen fish keeper first, I was trying to work out the differences between the three products, I don't actually keep betta. I realise you may consider this data sensitive but I really need it if that's possible, I have all found that I need for most other things so I hope this will be ok.

Thank you for your correspondence,
Jamie
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92891884@N04/sets/72157632686866609/
(Flickr Nano Second Artist)

Thanks for contacting us with your question -

Despite the rumors (I really don't know why the rumors persist), Melafix and Pimafix are fine for all labyrinth fish, anabantoids and otherwise.

Thanks and best regards,

Hmmm, yes is a bit short on details. Other replies in other threads usually at least listed fish tested.

I would resend the inquiry in hopes of getting a different representative - in my general experience some are more helpful than others. I know mine rattled off a list of fish they test on but that didn't come in the first response. I expect you to get a better response to your response.

Hey I hope I get the answer too.
Sorry about the delay I'm reading brooksters monster new new new thread, I'm 2/3 finished it's almost 700posts!

Most likely will be Monday. I would think they don't work weekends anyway.

Aqua- hope you like the comedy approach to my offline do daa!(y)

Are those your clown loaches? They're massive.

I always appreciate comedy, though apparently I don't always recognize it..... I don't know what you mean about offline :)

Are those your clown loaches? They're massive.

I always appreciate comedy, though apparently I don't always recognize it..... I don't know what you mean about offline :)

I'm a full time joker!
Check your messages. Yes they are my clowns, the biggest is may2006. All of those fish are mine. (Thanks for looking!)

Back
Top Bottom