Quick, Darting "Twitching" Behavior with my Goldies...Any Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking this could be a bad case of severe stress, but over the last day or so, my fancy goldies have developed a sudden quick-darting, unnatural behavior in the tank where they'll fly real quick around the water and eventually hide behind ornaments and plants, and their eyes look full of terror, if that's possible -- this happened out of the blue, without me adding any chemicals or changing their diets, so I don't know what could have caused the extreme stress. We did have horrible thunderstorms over the last couple of days, so I was wondering if it could be the loud crashes of thunder which shook our house -- is this remotely possible?

I added some Prime thinking it had stress coat in it, but it's only got slime coat; does anyone recommend getting some stress coat chemicals? What could cause this sudden "darting" and hiding behavior?

Anyone?

The three goldies are still doing this -- when we walk into the room, or get near the tank, they scurry VERY rapidly and hide behind ornaments...what is going on?

Hi, i dont have a solution to your problem. Because I dont think there really is one, you just have to allow time for the fish. The thunder storm may have played a part in making them go funny.
I have two yellow fish and one goldie, called Alfalfa, and he seems to always be darting everywhere, but the rest come up to the glass and follow my finger. So hopefully he will just get over it.

Best of luck to you!! Sorry if this didnt help one bit. Its my first post :)

Maybe until they get better, add some more hiding places? It might speed up their relaxing a bit ^^

Thanks for the replies, people. Actually, this issue seems to have resolved itself at least for now -- I'm thinking it was the thunderstorms and the bass from my home theater below our loft, which houses the aquarium...

Stress seems more than likely to me too. I have heard covering a tank with a towel can help ease them. I know it has worked for me when I have brought new fish home who were stressed out.

Fish darting around is usually because of something in the water irritating it. Ich can cause irritation...ammonia can also cause irritation. I know you said they seem to be doing better now...but I would still check water parameters just to make sure there isn't any ammonia in the water.

Guys,

While I appreciate the late replies, indeed I am not having this issue any longer...

But I will check parameters because the water is hazy again.

Back
Top Bottom