Rainbow with swollen abdomen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

One of my female preacox rainbow fish, and she has a swollen abdomen and isn't eating. Any ideas?

Water conditions are all normal, all other fish are doing fine. I'm setting up a quarantine tank today to isolate her.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it is.

Could be an internal parasite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I'm treating for now. It's been two days in the quarantine tank. Not looking so good.

Hmm, have you tried feeding shelled peas? Also soaking flake in meds and garlic juice.

I tried both she isn't interested at all in food.

Just keep the water clean and hope it passes? The tank is medicated so what more can you do? Try target feeding in a couple days?

Bloating and stringy poo sounds like Mali Hexitima bloat or some kind of internal parasite. I didn't encounter it for like 5 years in the hobby until i got some wild guppies from this shady rude guy. The treatment for it needs to be quick and effective, its a powder called "Metronidazole". Its wierd because i never ran into it for so long and now it seems like everyone's fish is getting it, like a worldwide plauge of it, even mine got it...

Back
Top Bottom