Rainbowfish dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallpaul003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, hoping you might be able to help with a bit of advice and wisdom.

I’ll try and keep it brief. There’s a video too if you make it to the end. Used to have a fake croc head and about 8 months ago, John my big rainbow lodged himself between the teeth when he was having a dart around. Sustained a little damage to his scales on left side just behind the gill. Medicated with something (can’t remember the name) that had tea tree oil. He’s never been bothered by it at all and hasn’t stopped doing his usual thing. It’s sometimes noticeable but only really when he’s changing his colouring.
Yesterday, I noticed it seemed a little redder/pinker but couldn’t be sure. Then today I noticed one of the young Rainbows ‘nip’ at his crash site. I think it was a nip anyway but he didn’t retaliate. Then I noticed another, but it’s as though he invited it by turning over.

So I got the following vid. It’s about 7 minutes long as I was trying to get a record of his side. He was being very timid and shielding his left side a lot by the glass so I got some good footage. Will his side heal so anyone know, and what else can I do to help him heal?
Also, is it nipping or a fish way of helping? I’ve never seen it before, the interactions are at about 1m12s, 2m0s, 6m50s.
Here’s the vid https://youtu.be/-7239NJ4XAc

Thanks in advance

Your Boesemani certainly does have a bad open sore. The tankmates aren't being helpful. They are attempting to bite off a peice of meat. The slanted pose the Boesemani exhibited is probably a defensive posture. You might treat your tank with a light dose of aquarium salt and Melafix.

Thanks V227, will get some meds today- wasn't sure what else to try. The posturing confused me as he was kind of offering himself- it didn't seem defensive, more like he was inviting them... That's why I wondered if it was a fishy way of healing/helping.. More than likely they're eating him one piece at a time then :(

Is that bubbles on his Gill area? The other fish know something is wrong so they pick at him. If you can get him away from the others it would be a good idea. Just until treatment is done. Otherwise your gonna lose him from the others picking at him. A divider, or another tank maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bubbles, it’s like a sore. Just doesn’t seem to be bothering him at all, only noticeable difference is he can’t doesn’t use the fun much and it sticks out a bit. Haven’t got a hospital tank but might try the divider idea thanks

Back
Top Bottom