Rainbowfish Upside-down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two boesmani rainbows and two guppies that I got from a pet store on Sat. It's not my usually petstore and the tanks didn't look that great so I put the fish in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. They all have been eating, the guppies more so than the rainbows, and looked good until this morning when I turned on the light. One of the rainbows is upside down resting on the bottom of the tank. He can't even lay on his side. At first I thought he was just resting on the bottom, because rainbowfish are pretty symmetrical, but he is definately upside down. So I'm thinking this is a swim bladder problem? It came on (seemingly) very quickly.

The only thing I did last night was a 40% water change. The water parameters before I put them in were Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, and Nitrates 40ppm. I've done several water changes since that reading and since putting these fish in (I've had other fish in the tank and moved those to my show tank before putting these in). I will take a measurement when I get back from work.

The only thing is the tissue under the scales around his tail seems to be whitish with red streaks. But this may be from his struggling to upright himself during the night? He isn't moving much now except his front fins, and gills.

I put melafix in the tank before leaving for work, it's what I had. Any suggestions on what I should do if he is still alive when I get back. None of the other fish in the tank are affected, and look the same as they did yesterday.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a bad infection. You could try antibiotics like Maracyn 1 and 2 or kanamycin. Even if it is too late for him, I would treat the quarantine tank to keep the others from catching it.

I agree with savga. Do some research on what those symptoms could be and treat asap.

Back
Top Bottom