Rainbows not eating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I picked up 15 Neons and 2 Banded Rainbows tuesday, got'em home and into QT 10gal, let'em settle in and later that night I got a really good look at'em and discovered some frayed fins on some of the neons.
No problem, Pimafix and Melafix.
Next morning I see some fungus on fins and the fish won't eat, Neons nor Rainbows.
Here we are tonight and the fungus is already clearing bigtime :D and the Neons are chowing down.
But not the Rainbows..... GRRRRR! I've tried enticing them with three kinds of flake, tubifex and bloodworms to no avail.
All water chemistry is within limits, 0ppmA, 0ppmNtri, 10ppmNtra, PH 6.5 and the temp is 78'
I'll be patient and give'em awhile to recuperate and De-stress, but this new daddy gets worried when the kiddies won't eat.

I'd be concerned too, but as long as they were decently fed in the lfs (and thats a BIG assumption), they won't starve in a coupla days. If after say, 3 days they are still not eating, and are showing no other signs of disease, you may want to entice them with garlic. Tis a appetite stimulant; soak some flake in garlic oil squeezed from one of those gel garlic pills and try that.

Allivymar said:
...you may want to entice them with garlic. Tis a appetite stimulant; soak some flake in garlic oil squeezed from one of those gel garlic pills and try that.
Cool! A great tip to file away for the future.

Certainly makes sense to me - afterall, who couldn't eat a whole mushroom and garlic pizza or a bowl of penne with basil-garlic-tomato sauce? Yum.

Where do you find out this stuff?

After reading the article about Columnaris (Flexibacter) that you gave a link to in another post, I decided that the symptoms in my QT were close enough to treat as such. I increased aeration, lowered the temp to 75' and added a antibiotic (nitrofurazone). Overnight results! I see no sign of fungus/columnaris and the fish have sloughed the frayed areas of their fins.
Now if I can just get these Rainbows to eat I'll know I have it licked!

These two will be a beautiful addition to my 75gal community when out of QT.

Well I mixed a cocktail of asst'd flakes, bloodworm and tubifex worms with some garlic oil and tried feeding my Rainbows in QT a few hours ago. I do believe I saw the male eat some but not the female. The males activity is increased so I'm pretty sure he did eat a little, I'm gonna try some live BBS tomorrow and see if that doesn't entice the female, crossing fingers.
No signs of disease visible and the Tetras are feeding, feisty and schooling. :D

Hip hip hooray! My Rainbows are finally going after food like normal fish :D . I've been giving very generous amounts of different foods trying to perk their interest and they have been picking at it a little more everyday, this morning I put some frozen mosquito larvae in there and they went ape-feces over it! They are also munching on BBS with gusto.

Back
Top Bottom