Raised Scales On Betta's Face?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nobifish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I've posted this on another forum site and haven't got any answers. Reposting here in hopes to get some help! :).

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 4 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 74 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 12 Amano Shrimp, 1 Dumbo Half-Moon Male Betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1-2 Weeks
How much of the water do you change? 35%
What do you use to treat your water? API Stress Coat + Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just The Water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Cycled W Betta (unfortunately) , Amano Shrimp added long after
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Everyday
How much do you feed your fish? 3 pellets / 3 tiny flakes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 - 5 Months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday - Evening
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Acting lethargic, still eating, stands still at surface (resides mostly in his betta log), saw him darting around me when I had to trim some plants, scales on his face seem to look raised sort of like pimples? (picture below)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yes, pimple like scales on face, and he is normally active (roaming all around the tank). His behaviour seemed to change suddenly yesterday, seemed fine in the morning. I had to run some errands and then noticed later on when I came back, how strange he was acting!

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I am most definitely concerned on how he's acting now. He's usually very active in his environment, tending to explore every inch in his tank and even check up on the Amano's! The bubbles/pimples on his face is very worrying to me as well. The shrimp seem to be doing fine, acting normal as usual. I've checked the internet for common betta diseases and I'm having trouble connecting his symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I love this little guy so much, I would hate to lose him over something that could easily be fixed.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom