Ranchu with red anus, help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maisx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

We have a fairly large pond which we transferred our Goldfish to about 6 months ago because they were getting so lovely and plump!
I was cleaning out the pump today and when checking everyone over, I noticed my favourite Ranchu suddenly has a red and slightly protruding anus (I'm assuming it's the anus?)
If I had to describe any behavioural changes, I'd say the fish doesn't seem to be distressed, however slightly lethargic. Body feels ever so slightly bloated. Please see photos for visual and before anyone freaks out, I fill this bucket with pond water to check each individual fish over.

Please help me if you think you know what this is and what I can do to help this beloved fish!

Attachments

• 20210523_115946.jpg
    20210523_115946.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210523_120000.jpg
    20210523_120000.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210523_120010.jpg
    20210523_120010.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 36
Camallanus Worms could be the issue. Often you can see red worms or protrusions in the anal vent.

Fenbendozole will help kill the worms. Some people use the powder for dogs deworming. Powder imho, is to hard to dissolve. Flake food is a good option as well with dewormer medication in it.

Goat dewormer Safe-guard from Merck has a liquid suspension and around here it is available online but at the local farm animal / ranch / feed and supply stores (a prescription is not needed where I live). It is a 10% solution which is 100mg/ml much, much easier to dose and since it is already a liquid you can know you are dosing a correct amount for the tank water volume.

It costs around $22-30 depending on where you get it.

Kens Fish has medicated food. Sometimes lfs will have it or another hobbyist, ask around.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Sadly I came home to my beautiful boy dead this afternoon, before I could do anything to help him. I'm beyond upset. This fish was such a little character and is going to be SO missed.

His stomach was incredibly bloated and full of air. I'm still not sure what this was, but it killed him within a couple of days.

Thanks again.

So terribly sorry we couldn't help fix him. Fish are our companions, and it is a loss to the heart.

Are there other fish in the tank? If so it is possible the others could be in danger. Be on alert if so.

Thank you. They really are our companions!

Yes the pond has 8 other fish. I'm going to do a full parasite treatment and give individual salt baths too. I'm just really hoping the rest of them are going to be okay!

Back
Top Bottom