Rapid breathing after medication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's quite strange. I do worry about that medication level even though the ingrediants have been around for years. Not eating since the meds started seems an alarm bell. The fish seem to be quite stressed, more so than I would expect or have seen.

A new tank with new fish is really hard if any infection strikes. About three years ago I had that and lost catfish to the meds. Next time if I used meds on a new tank, I would half dose.

I would keep up water changes (temp match) to remove the meds and also waste organics which would be using O2. The temp matching will mean your fish are not getting a bath of cold water after just getting used to hot and it prevents any cold spots where ich can make a come-back. Otherwise your filtration and everything sounds fine. I would leave temp as it is for another day or so to finish off as you suggested. If the fish were doing better I'd suggest lifting temp a tad to make sure and if I knew the ich was gone I would reduce it. When you do reduce the temp, lower it down gradually as well.

Generally you have to pick a method and stick with it as the fish will be stressed either way. Which is why combining methods is generally not suggested as well. For both methods extra aeration is useful. Have some links on desktop which I will post tonight.

More recently I thought the heat method would be fine over summer as the tank temp was already elevated and the previous summer had a tank temp higher so I knew the fish could adjust. Fish still hated adjusting

Yeah as unfortunate as this was, I'll think of it as a learning process. You guys have taught me a ton of stuff here on these forums :) Thank you.

Yeah I did half the dosage but I guess they just wasnt ready for it, I should've gave them less then maybe I could've avoided losing almost all of my fish.

I'll keep the temp going and update soon. Thank you for the information and help. It means a lot!

A little late but my experience with heat treatment is I love it! I had lost 1 neon during the treatment, but that wasn't ich related. 2 weeks at 88 degrees killed the parasite. I don't think I would buy meds now that I have this method tbh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never been a huge fan of the heat method myself. Malachite Green and formalin have always treated it very well for me without casualty to fish or flora. The heat method, though, has killed off some plants for me in the past, and many common types of aquarium fish tolerate the heat quite poorly. The whole appeal to nature aspect of it never really took hold for me.

Update:

Bristlenose, betta and neon still going on strong. The neon looks more vibrant today even though its still breathing quickly. It's still not eating but his belly looks like when hes full on food.

I also noticed the bristlenose started to have a problem trying to stop itself from floating when its trying to eat the algae off the driftwood I have in there.

This seems new and no longer ich....

Update:

Bristlenose, betta and neon still going on strong. The neon looks more vibrant today even though its still breathing quickly. It's still not eating but his belly looks like when hes full on food.

I also noticed the bristlenose started to have a problem trying to stop itself from floating when its trying to eat the algae off the driftwood I have in there.

This seems new and no longer ich....

Fingers crossed - how are they doing?

I've never been a huge fan of the heat method myself. Malachite Green and formalin have always treated it very well for me without casualty to fish or flora. The heat method, though, has killed off some plants for me in the past, and many common types of aquarium fish tolerate the heat quite poorly. The whole appeal to nature aspect of it never really took hold for me.

I must admit the use of the word 'natural' with any med remedy (including heat) I find annoying because it seems people think that it must automatically be better and also seem to let their guard down with use. With all remedies I believe it is a fine line between dealing with whatever infection or problem the fish has and killing it off. I have no trouble with people using them, I just find there is a blind spot sometimes.

Mostly I have used MG and formalin here. Although choices are limited.

A general cure I have used to finish off to get rid of last ich and try and head off any secondary infections.

Is there any specific brand I should look for for those remedies? Seems like a lot of people on these forums mention those ingredients quite often when it comes to cures and medication.

I'm at work at the moment, I'll post an update as soon as I see them :)

(I also just noticed you are from Perth - explains the noticeable time difference. I have a friend in Perth!)

Neon is more active now, though I think it's keeping to itself in hiding places because it doesnt have friends to swim with around the big scary pleco.

Pleco is a bit lethargic, no longer floating though so I will assume it's good, maybe I just caught it at a bad time? Not sure.

Betta is doing superb, her colours are coming back! So I think she's in the clear.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will update more if I see any warning signs.

Cautiously optimistic at this point :)

Is there any specific brand I should look for for those remedies? Seems like a lot of people on these forums mention those ingredients quite often when it comes to cures and medication.

I'm at work at the moment, I'll post an update as soon as I see them :)

(I also just noticed you are from Perth - explains the noticeable time difference. I have a friend in Perth!)

Yes, over in Australia :)

I only had a brief look and can't really comment on brands at all.

My impression was:

MG and formalin are the most effective (within meds treatment). I don't know how it compares to salt. Both are more toxic at lower ph.

MG is commonly an ingredient for ich meds.

MG and acriflavine are not as effective. Nitromersol (whatever that is) may substitute for acriflavine.

MG and nitrofuran or triple sulpha - not sure how these compare to MG & formalin.

Herbal ich treatments - possibly more slower to cure.

Back
Top Bottom