Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If after tetracycline treatment it came back I would have to think they are doing it to themselves. Which isn't at all uncommon in males. They may be doing it at night when no ones looking. But still seems awfully coincidental that the two males you happened to get would both be doing it. :confused:

Siva: No, I would definitely avoid adding plants until salt treatment is over.

Using multi cure, melafix and salt at the same time is not a good idea. Mixing too many treatments at once will usually do more harm than good. Also keep in mind afer 11 days the fish is suffering organ damage from the salt. I never keep salt in a tank for long than that unless I absolutely have to. A stronger treatment should be used once salt and melafix have been ineffective, so they should no longer be in the tank.

Thanks for the advise. I had no idea salt can cause organ damage if used for more than a few days. As I said I was planning on treating with Multi Cure for approx. 9 days although some people have recommended continuing treatment until solid re-growth is evident. He's about due for 100% water change (I've been alternating between 50 and 100% changes every 3 days) and I don't want to stress him out by putting him on and off meds. What do you think? Stick with the Multi Cure for another couple of days or go back to the tiny MelaFix doses and water changes?

I'm not sure if they have multi cure here in the US..If they do I'm not familiar with it. But if the salt has been in for 11 days or more I would discontinue it and do water changes over the next few days to get it out. :)

How's the little guy doing? I have been out of town.
I pulled him out of the tank and started medicating a while ago. He hasn't gotten any worse, but not any better either. However I think I know what the problem is...

Really what is it????
Well he was on Maracyn II

I am wrong though. It apears that damage has healed and that he is going to continue to heal. I decided to seperate him into a smaller container and I am going to be changing the water everyday!

I'm doing water changes every day too. Still having the same problems you were though :( What med is working for you?

Well The Maracyn II did stop the rot and start healing. But He hasn't healed a lot! SO I mean its not a miracle treatment, but I have heard good things about Jungle Fungus Eliminator, Or Jungle Fizzy Buddy Tabs or something like that. They both Target Gram - , Gram + and Fungus. So Its perfect for Fin rot. If I have trouble again I will use that.

I do believe I know what has been causing the rot now though. Petco's Testing has to be off. I need to buy a kit of my own. But I think I know what I am doing wrong. I made a different forum on how to set up a tank and keep it running. Well there I found out that you should not change filter media monthly without 'seeding' a New one in. I thought the bacteria lived in the sponge so I didn't think about the filter media.

So I would change it once a month, the would do crappy for a week or so after I changed the filter, than they would be ok for a week, start to heal for 2 weeks then I would change the filter again and it would all repeat. It really does make sense to me and I hope that is what the problem is. It seems that every time I change the filter there is a mini - "Re - cycle" So I am really hoping thats what the problem is, cause then I can fix it. :D

I would say that is probably your problem, glad you figured out a possible suspect.

As for the filter media, don't change it until it is literally falling apart. Just swish it around in some old tank water during PWC's to help keep the flow rate up. Then when you do need to change it, only change half of the media at a time.

I do believe I know what has been causing the rot now though. Petco's Testing has to be off. I need to buy a kit of my own. But I think I know what I am doing wrong. I made a different forum on how to set up a tank and keep it running. Well there I found out that you should not change filter media monthly without 'seeding' a New one in. I thought the bacteria lived in the sponge so I didn't think about the filter media.

So I would change it once a month, the would do crappy for a week or so after I changed the filter, than they would be ok for a week, start to heal for 2 weeks then I would change the filter again and it would all repeat. It really does make sense to me and I hope that is what the problem is. It seems that every time I change the filter there is a mini - "Re - cycle" So I am really hoping thats what the problem is, cause then I can fix it. :D

Being new to this, I hope I don't sound too stupid..
I have had numerous problems in my short time.. I believe a lot of it is down to over-vigerous filter cleaning/changing.. I have had whitespot, fungus/finrot and now, nitrate/nitrite problems..
I used reputable antifungal, and whitespot treatment when these occurred, to no avail. I lost a lot of fish.
I then left my filters alone and just used tonic-salts. Hey-Presto.
Only a Rookie experience..!):oops:

I would say that is probably your problem, glad you figured out a possible suspect.

As for the filter media, don't change it until it is literally falling apart. Just swish it around in some old tank water during PWC's to help keep the flow rate up. Then when you do need to change it, only change half of the media at a time.

Yup. :D I am really hoping this solves the problem. Kinda makes me feel like a moron though. :p I was just following the package.

Being new to this, I hope I don't sound too stupid..
I have had numerous problems in my short time.. I believe a lot of it is down to over-vigerous filter cleaning/changing.. I have had whitespot, fungus/finrot and now, nitrate/nitrite problems..
I used reputable antifungal, and whitespot treatment when these occurred, to no avail. I lost a lot of fish.
I then left my filters alone and just used tonic-salts. Hey-Presto.
Only a Rookie experience..!):oops:
I hope it works out like that for me. :D

Ok I'm gonna sound even dumber ... when you guys say filter media what do you mean? My tank has an inbuilt filter (black sponge with white sponge on top). When I clean the tank / change the water I always wash out the pump, tubing etc. and the white sponge (I leave the black sponge alone cos I thought that was where the good bacteria lived). Is this maybe why my poor lil' guy keeps having fin rot problems or are we talking totally different types of filters? Why didn't I pay more attention in high school science?!

Ok I'm gonna sound even dumber ... when you guys say filter media what do you mean? My tank has an inbuilt filter (black sponge with white sponge on top). When I clean the tank / change the water I always wash out the pump, tubing etc. and the white sponge (I leave the black sponge alone cos I thought that was where the good bacteria lived). Is this maybe why my poor lil' guy keeps having fin rot problems or are we talking totally different types of filters? Why didn't I pay more attention in high school science?!

We do have different filters. Mine has a sponge and something called a Bio - bag. Wait for one of these guys to reply because I really don't know.

Back
Top Bottom