Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I was recommended to buy this stuff called Tetra Lifeguard Since I don't know if its bacterial Fungal or something else. Is this a good treatement? What should I do!?!

Product Catalog

I have never used that. I used Mardel Lab's Maracyn 2, but mine had the bacterial fin rot. Many places recommend a Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 combination to combat fungal and bacterial fin rot. I highly recommend their medication if you think it is required.

Tell ya the truth, your fish don't look that bad compared to mine. He recurred overnight and when I woke up he looked terrible. I don't know if I wouldn't just continue the PWC's and see how things go for the next couple of days.

Do you think its required? I have been trying to fix this for months and I am about to give up. :p Nothing has worked... He has gotten better and I have kept everything perfect than he goes down the gutter again. I just don't know what to do.

Sorry to hear your fish isn't doing so hot either. What is this junk seriously?!

Last edited:
That is what mine has done. He will go down hill for a few days, then do okay for two weeks. Then he goes back down. I think it is from these Asian breeders that don't care the quality of their fish. They just want quantity.

I really don't think it is necessary unless he really gets bad. If he quit eating or had a really sever case I would say yes.

Well its not that that I am worried about, its the fact that the fins aren't smooth anymore. See how they are different lengths? (Tail Fin) Thats just the camera. He is blue / purple without flash and Green / red with flash / flashlight. :D

Ooo that color change stuff is cool! That happened with my female - She was butterfly now she is solid.

Last edited:
50 ppm of nitrates is pretty high actually. :( I always tried to keep mine at 5. You can rinse the filter media and do a good gravel vac to bring them down.
Also, some meds will kill your good bacteria, so if you need to use them, make sure you get your water tested often to make sure you aren't high on the ammonia and nitrites.

Yes I agree that is high nitrates...especially with all the water changes you've been doing...that means your nitrates were sky high at the beginning of this. And if they tested with a strip test, they are probably even higher than the test is reading. I wouldn't go with any more meds just yet..based on the pics they aren't doing that bad. I know it's frustrating. I would just keep up with the water changes for now. I never let my tanks exceed 20ppm nitrates. A weekly pwc of 30% or so on my 5 gal betta tanks actually keeps it under 10. I would pick up at the least a liquid nitrate test kit, if you can't get the master kit. So you can keep an eye on it yourself and know when you've got them under control.

I'm thinking of you all. Spent half the night worrying about my betta (Piglet) suffocating in MelaFix, so as soon as I got home from work I rang the aquarium and they suggested trying Aquamedi Multi-Cure instead. The guy I spoke to said that MelaFix is ony really any good as a preventative or for straight injuries. If there's a fungal or bacterial infection (which I suspect there is because of the mystery white head spot and scratching) it won't do much good. (So glad that the same store sold me MelaFix yesterday ... grrr!) I live in Austalia and Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 aren't avilable ouside the States but I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how I get on with the Multi Cure. God I wish there wa an exact science to this ... fish sick ... give sick fish pill ... fish better now. You can tell I'm new at this huh?

Sorry ... gotta laugh. My other half just called me from the aquarium. Along with the Multi-Cure he's spent another $30 or so on plants that won't be killed by anti-fungal treatments to improve the water quality. So here's the breakdown.

Tank with Built in Filter $120
Water Heater $30
Pebbles + Hidey Hole Statue Thing + Plants $50
Black Worms + Betta Pellets $25
Water Conditioner + Aquasalt + MelaFix $40
Multi-Cure $30
Actual Fish $10.95 ... we are clearly insane.

Keep posting guys. All the advise you give really is fantastic and if I discover a miracle cure I'll let you all know asap.

50 ppm of nitrates is pretty high actually. :( I always tried to keep mine at 5. You can rinse the filter media and do a good gravel vac to bring them down.
Also, some meds will kill your good bacteria, so if you need to use them, make sure you get your water tested often to make sure you aren't high on the ammonia and nitrites.

Well I don't know for sure that it was 50PPM. I just know that it must be under that, since they said that it was fine, the water was good, and both of my tanks tested in the same manner, exact same results on both actually. I wish I would have wrote down the numbers. :p Gah so dumb of me.

By the way the fish in the other tank are 100 % fine.

I might need to pick up a test kit. You don't think they are doing poorly? I thought they were getting worse and worse.........

What color is a nitrate strip?

You don't want test strips. They are the most inaccurate things on the market. If I were you I would get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It will come with everything you need to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc. and it is the most esteemed test kit available.

About $20, but trust me it is well worth it. It comes with enough "stuff" to test each parameter 100-150 times.

Hmmm I may have to try and muster up some money to go and buy one. Maybe I can get one as a B-day gift. Lol.

API Test Kit

There is a link, it is a bit much, but it is cheaper than buying them separate. Just the ammonia test cost like $15 by itself, so it is a deal and a half.

Trust me, I had to buy them separate since LFS didn't carry the master kit.

Ouch I saw that at Petco and it was 48 so I hope to god Walmart has it or something. My petco is so over priced.

Back
Top Bottom