Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have treated for fin rot and my betta was healing - slowly but healing.

My filter quit running for about 3 hours due to a power outage. That was on wednesday... today I had an oil layer on the top of the water so I changed it - 50 % w/ gravel Vac.

Well I noticed that my betta that was healing from his rot now has more rot - now on his anal fin (It was just his tail) SO I don't know if he got hurt or if its rot again...

No clear edges / No discoloration / no fungus / Nothing like that........

I'm super confused. :p Also I have a second betta in that tank and he is a halfmoon but it looks like his fins are no longer a perfectly smooth curve... the edges of his fin is clear, But it was like that when I bought him... is that rot too?

In anycase I dosed stress coat when I changed the water...

Tank Info - 10 Gallon, Cycled, Filtered, Heated 78* - Change 25% of water once a week....

If you have the film on top of the water, that is usually a lack of surface agitation, and could possibly be the reason for the rot. You could also try turning the temp up to 80*. The clear edges are new growth.
Are you sure it's rot and not him biting himself? That's what I am dealing with on 2 of my 3 bettas. *sigh*
Is it possible his tail fins are getting sucked into the filter intake?

If you have the film on top of the water, that is usually a lack of surface agitation, and could possibly be the reason for the rot. You could also try turning the temp up to 80*. The clear edges are new growth.
Are you sure it's rot and not him biting himself? That's what I am dealing with on 2 of my 3 bettas. *sigh*
Is it possible his tail fins are getting sucked into the filter intake?
Now here is the problem with not having enough agitation. Sometimes I have it sometimes I don't. The filter is always on, yet sometimes I have this layer and sometimes I don't. What purpose would turning the temp up have? Ya its odd though, he will heal. Than all of a sudden he will get a little shredding than heal again. I don't know what to think of it.I don't believe he is biting himself... I don't see how it would get sucked in either. He doesn't go by the filter... he doesn't seem to like it very much. Sooo any of your input would be amazing.

You have two male bettas in the same tank? You don't think they might be fighting or biting each other's tails? That's what it sounds like it could be to me, why the tails keep healing then shredding again.

You have two male bettas in the same tank? You don't think they might be fighting or biting each other's tails? That's what it sounds like it could be to me, why the tails keep healing then shredding again.
I said in the description its divided so that's not it.

80* tends to keep away the fin rot, since it's a little warmer. My thermometers quit working in one of the tanks, and when I put my fingers in the water it seemed too cool to me, so I turned the heater up. My bettas starting getting messed up tail fins from the cooler temps. It is just a theory of mine though, I haven't seen anything online to back me up. ;)

My red betta bites his tail off every time it starts growing back. He is my feisty one, and I am pretty sure he has betta A.D.H.D lol. I think part of the problem is that he is back in the bedroom, where there is not a lot of stimulation during the day, and he gets bored. He also might think his tail is too heavy, who knows?

80* tends to keep away the fin rot, since it's a little warmer. My thermometers quit working in one of the tanks, and when I put my fingers in the water it seemed too cool to me, so I turned the heater up. My bettas starting getting messed up tail fins from the cooler temps. It is just a theory of mine though, I haven't seen anything online to back me up. ;)

My red betta bites his tail off every time it starts growing back. He is my feisty one, and I am pretty sure he has betta A.D.H.D lol. I think part of the problem is that he is back in the bedroom, where there is not a lot of stimulation during the day, and he gets bored. He also might think his tail is too heavy, who knows?

Oh turning it up speads healing now that I think about it. I have seen that places. Is 80 bad for a betta though? Hmmmmm. I just wish I knew how to fix this. Should I use some melafix again?

Bettas do best in 80-82*. I would just use clean water, (more water changes) and skip the Melafix. If you want to use anything, I would go with the Stress-Coat or whatever one has the aloe in it. :)

I keep all my bettas at 80, always, and higher if there's an infection. Do you think he could be just snagging on something in the tank? If there isn't any dark egdges on the fins it may not be rot. I would thoroughly check any fake plants and decor.

Also - my power was out for 3 hours on wednesday...weird... I don't think that caused probs with the betta though.

I always purchase BettaFix, but if you are going to use MelaFix, it's important to know that MelaFix is 1.0% Melaleuca and BettaFix is 0.2% Melaleuca. That means you need to does 1/5 of what the instructions say if you are using it for bettas. They can't tolerate that much melaleuca well.

The oily film is not harmful. My bettas in smaller tanks that have their filters baffled often have the oily film, it's just a build up of proteins and as long as you are doing proper weekly tank maintenance it won't cause any problems.

I keep all my bettas at 80, always, and higher if there's an infection. Do you think he could be just snagging on something in the tank? If there isn't any dark egdges on the fins it may not be rot. I would thoroughly check any fake plants and decor.

Also - my power was out for 3 hours on wednesday...weird... I don't think that caused probs with the betta though.

I always purchase BettaFix, but if you are going to use MelaFix, it's important to know that MelaFix is 1.0% Melaleuca and BettaFix is 0.2% Melaleuca. That means you need to does 1/5 of what the instructions say if you are using it for bettas. They can't tolerate that much melaleuca well.

The oily film is not harmful. My bettas in smaller tanks that have their filters baffled often have the oily film, it's just a build up of proteins and as long as you are doing proper weekly tank maintenance it won't cause any problems.
Hmmm I may have to bump up the heat yet than. I don't see any dark edges at all. there never has been. However when I made this thread he did have some pinholes... so thats why I was thinking rot.... I really don't understand... last time I got the water checked it was great. Also I tested all my plants and none of them snag pantyhose... I can for sure check again. Yes I dilute my Melafix. :D (well last time i used it)

Bettas do best in 80-82*. I would just use clean water, (more water changes) and skip the Melafix. If you want to use anything, I would go with the Stress-Coat or whatever one has the aloe in it. :)
Really? I didn't know that! I thought 78 was what they liked. Man I could bump it up to 80 no problem. Lol.

Last edited:
Apollo's Rot? -

Normal -
img_1366848_0_e2c25c625bfab7418bc8649f433ad1f1.jpg

1st bit of damage....
img_1366848_1_4367ec3699b788a294123de32c3045fb.jpg

2nd time....

img_1366848_2_2e61d41767c238a2e8b14393657a539a.jpg

3rd Time....

img_1366848_3_6d398f9386d2c5b7db838addd514a1de.jpg

Now....
img_1366848_4_c2e538b765fba2fccd4c4164abb9d16b.jpg

New Boy....

First Days I owned him....
img_1366856_0_0aad71eec13ff1206740d6888fcbe9f2.jpg

Few Days Later -

img_1366856_1_fc5e5ad09df7c1936062be48f9a56daf.jpg

Week or two Later...
img_1366856_2_1a6534dee5973c449baa9fecec87b1ca.jpg

Now...
img_1366856_3_3392bc521ca71dfd72aff8565788b57f.jpg

Is this rot too?

This really doesn't look like rot to me.

Darby are you out there? What do you think?

Have you ever seen him nip himself at all? Does he have tankmates?

This really doesn't look like rot to me.

Darby are you out there? What do you think?

Have you ever seen him nip himself at all? Does he have tankmates?

I hace never seen him nip himself. No tank mates. he is by himself in one half of the tank, since its divided. What about the other fish? His fins aren't as smooth as they were? Or maybe they are just growing longer?

Man..shoot..I just don't know. Their coloring looks so great..it just doesn't look like a typical rot to me. The fins are reminding me more of a nipped betta than an infection. Maybe they are seeing eachother/their reflections too much and getting too agitated and actually going after themselves? Ah, I wish I could be of more help here. :( Maybe it is just a persistant case of fin rot. Hopefully we'll get some more opinions on it.

Man..shoot..I just don't know. Their coloring looks so great..it just doesn't look like a typical rot to me. The fins are reminding me more of a nipped betta than an infection. Maybe they are seeing eachother/their reflections too much and getting too agitated and actually going after themselves? Ah, I wish I could be of more help here. :( Maybe it is just a persistant case of fin rot. Hopefully we'll get some more opinions on it.
Funny thing about that is they NEVER flare at each other. Ever. They have been right next to eachother and are like oh whatever. Its not all the way see through either. Its plastic mesh. I have no clue, and it has never been fin rot looking I guess.

Back
Top Bottom