Ready to euthanize and quit the hobby!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
37 gallon. Water parameters are fine. 0,0,10. API liquid test kit. Ph 8.2. Temp 78*.
Inhabitants.
12 guppies. Used to be 14.
4 neon tetras. Used to be 7.
7 Amano shrimp
2 bulldog plecos. Third is in HT for fungus.
Heavy planted. 3 pieces of driftwood.

My fish are dying off. No signs of why. No red gills, no cloudy eyes. Tank looks clean. Plenty of filtration. But no matter what. I will go to bed and wake up to a dead fish or two.

Any clues?

Multiple places. The reef tropical fish. Petsmart petco. None of which are more alive than the others.

Do you check the tanks they come from? Are there dead fish in the tank, etc?

No. I look and watch the fish for a couple minutes looking for the healthiest fish.

Lokkzer said:
No. I look and watch the fish for a couple minutes looking for the healthiest fish.

Hmmmm...and no weird behavior, like rubbing on plants, gravel, or driftwood?

You mentioned treating a plec for fungus, was he in with the others, and was he treated in the display tank, and with what medication? What made you think it's a fungus too?

Last edited:
You mentioned treating a plec for fungus, was he in with the others, and was he treated in the display tank, and with what medication?

I believe he said it was in a hospital tank, just trying to clarify. Is there any chance of contamination from chemicals outside your tank?

I believe he said it was in a hospital tank, just trying to clarify. Is there any chance of contamination from chemicals outside your tank?

That I understood, but at some point the fish with the "fungus" I'm assuming was in the display tank with the other fish? Looking for more info on his fungus.

HUKIT said:
That I understood, but at some point the fish with the "fungus" I'm assuming was in the display tank with the other fish? Looking for more info on his fungus.

Oh thank you for clarifying. I'm interested in the fungus also, I'd love to know more on what happened

They don't act weird that I see. They might start to swim a little sluggish but nothing crazy.

Hukit, you're icon is scary looking. My pleco had developed white growths on the tips of it's tail fin. I assumed it was a fungus treated with fungus fizzing tabs, tetra brand.

There could be contamination from outside. My girlfriend is a fan of febreze aerosols. But I tell her not to spray over the tank but particles fly around.

Ph is high but I try and acclimate steadily slowly adding small cups of water to the bag they come in. Maybe the drip method might save them.

Ps. I was never really going to murder fish that's cruel. Just frustrated is all. Thanks for all the questions and advice. Lost another guppy last night. :\

Homedog98 said:
Ph maybe? I know fish will adjust... Still seems a bit high to me though.

I agree that the pH is on the higher side. It will take fish a little longer than the float time to adjust, if it's too high then they won't be able to. IMO

PH is not killing your fish, high or low the fish will adjust. I'd rather have higher PH than lower since it's usually buffers better. Back to the fish, how long have you had them? Some species are weaker than others, especially neons and guppies which have been overbred to meet the high demand to the point of weakening the strain, could just be as simple as poor stock.

Last edited:
@Amicus I think it is contributing at least so I will now be using the slow air tube drip.

@Hukit It is the weaker breed I think. I have had only one female die and 3 males. The females look healthy I bought 6 and had 4 from another tank.

Lokkzer said:
@Amicus I think it is contributing at least so I will now be using the slow air tube drip.

@Hukit It is the weaker breed I think. I have had only one female die and 3 males. The females look healthy I bought 6 and had 4 from another tank.

You need to find a new LFS. It'll keep the risk of this happening again minimal.

Just my 2 cents, I am going to start buying fish that are not as popular as neons and DGs. I am thinking that the less popular ones are harder to find and more expensive but it is worth it. I had to euthanize my DG last night. :(

Back
Top Bottom