Red around gills- only one side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My ram is red around his gills. Can you identify? Is this a symptom of columnaris? Just finished treating my tank for that. details below.
now thinking i tmay be gill worms. do I treat with coppersafe or with de- los?

I noticed my Ram doesn't look right today. I had been noticing him not swimming right every once in a while and today I think I now see why. he is really red around his gills. it almost looks like he has a fat lip. doing some research and could this be gill worms or gill flukes? what do I do for this?

Just did a 50 % PWC today. ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, PH 7.6 (normal for my tank), Nitrates - 0 yesterday.
just finished a course of 5 days dosing maracyn two (had columnaris in tank) and a low dose of aquarium salt. did NOT add any salt back into the tank after the PWC today.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 251
well, I know no one has responded to this thread, but I am now treating with prazipro. hopefully this will help.
I put in the dosage and they said it would cause foaming. no foaming occured. anyway I can confirm this is still good? does it always foam? anyone else use this stuff and have it not foam?
I will post another pic when I go to dose again. hopefully I will see some improvement

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any answers, hopefully someone will chime in to help you. I don't know much about fish diseases but just to make sure, did you remove any carbon from your filters before dosing medication? And also what other fish are in the tank?

thanks paytertot - no, i don't normally run carbon in my tank. running 2 aquaclear 110s and just have the foam thing, the biomax, and some extra anglesplus active filter.

other fish? have harlequins (don't see anything wrong with them, but they are so small)
2 mollies - seems fine
6 loaches - seems fine
2 rams - male is the one in the pic, and the female looks to be breathing rapidly but no other signs

today is approaching 48 hours after dosing with the prazipro and I definitely think things are looking better with these guys!
My male ram still has issues but the area is not as red as it was - now is looking more black almost like old blood rather than new blood? probably doesn't make any sense. and possibly not as inflamed as it was before. both the rams are still doing a more rapid breathing, but I think maybe less stressed. I am sure it is an improvement. I will see if I can get a pic.

of course my problems continue.... I still have columnaris in my tank and I am awaiting meds to start treatment (see post "rainbows with white fuzz" or something like that)

any problems mixing these two treatments? what about adding salt? I don't see anything that says I should not treat these at the same time, but I am still learning so much I just thought I had better ask!
thanks!!

a pic of my ram after approx 48 hours of treatment with prazipro.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 153
Has it helped him any? I don't know much about the diseases.
definite improvement! I guess it was the correct id and the correct treatment. after just 48 hours he looks so much better. the redness has almost completely gone away. the swelling seems to have gone down.
I am so happy. was kinda scared there for a while. every fish that I have had so far that has had any problems has not improved. good to know that at last it looks like i am doing something right

HeatherW said:
definite improvement! I guess it was the correct id and the correct treatment. after just 48 hours he looks so much better. the redness has almost completely gone away. the swelling seems to have gone down.
I am so happy. was kinda scared there for a while. every fish that I have had so far that has had any problems has not improved. good to know that at last it looks like i am doing something right

Well im glad he's getting better.

Thats great news! I can see the difference in the pic! Just curious, but did you ever consider perhaps finding a different lfs or buying online? Their fish seem to have quite a few issues...

Thats great news! I can see the difference in the pic! Just curious, but did you ever consider perhaps finding a different lfs or buying online? Their fish seem to have quite a few issues...

haha funny that you mention that. the rainbows all came from one store - will definitely quarantine that store if I buy there again. however I also got the border botia loaches and so far they all seem fine. just the rainbows.

the rams I got online. thought they would be fine.

who knows... I am now a firm believer of quarantining my fish though. funny - when I started this I was just the opposite. I thought - Oh, they will be fine. ha! I now know better!

ok, got a question here. I am planning on doing three rounds of the prazipro. I am changing the water now. should I run carbon inbetween treatemnts? my water doesn't look clear but tested ok
ammonia -0
nitrites - 0
nitrates -5

also, I should mention I never ran carbon after my maracyn two treatment. have the kanamycin on order...

thanks everyone. did a big water change. getting ready to add more salt and hopefully another dose of the prazipro. pretty sure my kanamycin is shipping today...

Back
Top Bottom