Red Gills - Tried Everything w/details

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjayhooks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Current water Parameters:pPM
ammonia 0
Nitrates <20
Nitrite 0
GH 150
KH 120
pH 7.2

Recent Water Change Schedule
Sunday March 9th 50%
Thursday March 6th 30%
Monday March 3rd 35%
Wed February 26th 35%

Temp 77F/25C
75 Gallon tank/two Aquaclear 70HOB filters with songe/carbon/biomax
~ 40 White Cloud Mountain Minnow
- 8 Panda Cory

So two weeks (Sunday Feb 23rd) ago I bought some Corydoras and a few days later noticed they had red gill plates and red lines going down their body. My water parameters were ideal and I asked on here for some advice and got no responses. Luckily, the problem went away.

Now, the corydoras are fine but a lot of my White Cloud Mountain Minnows have the same problem. Ive done water changes and kept up checking the water parameters, everything seems fine. I added 1 teaspoon of table salt on Monday, and the fish appeared fine on Tuesday morning. By this morning (Wed/March 12) they had red gills again. I don't know what else to do as from all the parasite descriptions, my fish don't have any other symptoms.. just red gill plates and the lateral line was red two weeks ago on the Corydoras, but now its just red gills.

No scratching, no erratic swimming, just red gills on roughly a third of my WCMM.

Somethings gotta be wrong with water parameters.... Is ur test kit pretty new? Have u tested tap water? Are u shakung test bottles enough?

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yes, the test kit is fairly new. I acquired it last week, my tank has been cycled and running for years without a hitch. I bought the test specifically because I thought there must be a problem with the tap water, either ammonia or nitrites. The tap water tested 0 for both.

Last water change was Sunday, I tested today (Wednesday)

I use Big Als water conditioner, it has always worked in the past.

I was fairly certain the problem was ammonia until I tried adding the teaspoon of salt which seemed to alleviate the redness. How often can I add more salt? Does anyone have any ideas what kinds of things salt cures? I can't find any definitive answers.

Dont know anything about salt... If i were u i would take a sample of my water to lfs and have it checked... While i was there i would get enough RO water to do at least a 50 percent PWC... Its 50 cent/ gallon at mine so a few dollars should do it... It will at least buy u sime time to explore options

Back
Top Bottom