Red inflamed gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khaleesi_413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I have a few fish that appear to have gills that are more red than normal and seem to be swollen or inflamed as well. One is a guppy, the other a gold barb.

I recently converted my 20g high into a 29g, but I transferred all of my filters and filter media into the new tank so I don't think it's a cycling issue. The gold barb is lethargic at times but still pretty active. His gills looked odd before I made the conversion. I just noticed the guppy's gills within the last hour. She's been hanging at the top of the tank but no clamped fins or anything. There might be one or two other guppies that have clamped fins but most of the fish are still pretty active.

I've got 3 gold barbs, 3 julii corys, and about 10 guppies. The corys were added about a week ago after I converted to the bigger tank.

Water parameters:
Ammonia appears between 0-0.25
Nitrite is 0
Nitrates are about 5-10

Anyone have any idea on what might be causing the red gills in some and clamped fins in others? Would any parasite meds be okay for the corys? I also have a few crypts in the tank, not sure how meds will effect those.

Did you make sure to add dechlorinator to the new water? It sounds stupid but I've seen it happen before when switching tanks over, since you're juggling a bunch of stuff at once. Or was the temp a big difference?

Did you make sure to add dechlorinator to the new water? It sounds stupid but I've seen it happen before when switching tanks over, since you're juggling a bunch of stuff at once. Or was the temp a big difference?
I did add dechlorinator today with the water change that I did. I converted the tanks about 2 weeks ago now.

Would seachem paraguard be a good way to go if I'm not sure what exactly is going on? I've read that it's extremely effective against a variety of ailments

Well the guppy died before the paraguard was delivered. If I see any more fish showing symptoms I'll likely start dosing the tank. Don't have a QT set up [emoji52]

Back
Top Bottom