Red Platy stopped eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Argh, those who have read my last thread on Ich know that the 4 Red Platies I got about a month ago brought a whole host of problems with them. Just when I think I've got them all sorted out, I notice that one of the Platies has stopped eating, and is hanging out near the top of the tank most of the time. The other 3 are fine.

All 4 are in QT now, and are undergoing fungus treatment for white cottony growths that 2 out of the 4 came down with. All of the fungus is just about gone, and until a couple days ago, all 4 of the Platies were acting and eating normally. Now, the one that had the initial (and worst) case of fungus is the one that is not eating.

She still looks fairly normal, meaning no clamped fins, not too skinny, etc. She even dropped fry about 2 weeks ago. Anything that can be done? Usually, in my experience once the fish start hanging out in one place and stop eating, they've got maybe 2-3 more days before I lose them.

Water Parameters are normal, i.e., 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, and Nitrates should be minimal, as I did a 50% water change 2 days ago, and a 75% water change 4 days ago (before I dosed with meds). They are currently being treated with TetraMedica Fungistop. The QT tank is bare with no substrate or plants.

nsx, your problem may simply be that you have an unhealthy batch of platies (poor genetics). I know you bought them from different stores, but I wonder if they were all supplied by the same supplier.
I wish I could help further.

Well, this morning, the Platy started eating again! :D She didn't eat much, but at least it's a start. Let's hope she regains her appetite soon!

Back
Top Bottom