Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red sore/wound on Betta

Hello,

I own a male betta that is approx. 4 years old. About 2-3 weeks ago he developed a red sore/wound on his head. Last week, I treated him with BettaFix Remedy, but that did not help. His behavior has changed as well...he rarely eats and he stays at the bottom of his vase all the time.

I know some people do not like the idea of bettas in vases, but this environment has worked for him since I've purchased him. Currently, I am keeping him in a small bowl so he doesn't have to waste a lot of energy coming up for air.

Please go to http://www.peaceofmindpet.com/betta to see his pictures.

I'm very worried about him and need to know what he has, how to treat it, should I keep him in a small bowl, and how many times should I change his water.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi bluebetta, and welcome!

Four years old...wow! That's pretty good for a betta; excellent, actually! I've read that bettas kept in vases or bowls may live longer than those in tanks, because of the cooler water keeping their metabolism lower. However, I would only keep, or recommend that others keep, bettas in the tropical conditions that they are most comfortable in.

I looked at the pictures and it may be a tumor of some kind. I don't know what kind of medicine to recommend, unless you can see something like small white dots, white cottony patches, or ragged fins. I would not use BettaFix again. Some people report that bettas do not do well with the active ingredient in BettaFix, or MelaFix. While this ingredient is fine for other fish, it may harm the labyrinth organ in fish like bettas. I used MelaFix on my betta once, and it didn't help him. He got very listless. So while some people may use BettaFix, and like it, I didn't find it helpful, and since you didn't either, I wouldn't try it again.

Instead of medicine, I would change the water in the bowl 50% every other day. You don't want to stress him out with too many water changes. But first, I would get all the BettaFix out of the water, and then do the 50% changes. This will hopefully keep him comfortable. Can he come to the surface at all? Bettas do need to supplement their gills with the labyrinth organ, so they do have to get to the surface. If he can get to the surface comfortably, then he may perk up.

Unfortunately, my first betta lied at the bottom for almost a week, and couldn't come up for air or food, and died shortly afterwards. It may just be your betta's time I don't know of any remedy once they get that way. Try to keep him comfortable, and in an area where the temperature stays stable. Try the water changes to get the BettaFix out of the water, and keep your fingers crossed!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

[center:aa42807486] Welcome to AA, bluebetta!! [/center:aa42807486]

An t-iasg has given great advice again!!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Treating Betta for Red Sore...and now he's got Ich!

Hello,
I treating my betta with Kanacyn for his mysterious red sore on the side of his head...which btw he has developed another sore underneath his mouth.

Today I noticed he has white stringy strands hanging off of him and a few white specks...is this ich?

Will Kanacyn treat this as well? If not...can I mix medications? Which kind?

Once again I call on the fish masters for help!

-Marianne
Old 07-03-2004, 03:14 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your betta

How long has he been in the Kanacyn? This is a good antibiotic that I've had good luck with in the past. It should treat the white strings. The white strings are sometimes called body fungus, but it's actually a bacterial infection that the Kanacyn can treat. But it won't treat ich, and it's not a good idea to mix medicines.

Have you read the ich article on this site to determine whether he has ich? http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=32

Here's what I would do in this case. I'm reading my Mardel medication leaflet, and it says to use Maracide or CopperSafe to treat the ich, along with Maracyn or Maracyn II to treat bacterial infections. The parasite med for ich (CopperSafe or Maracide) can be used together with Maracyn or Maracyn II.

I think Kanacyn is a better antibiotic for this bacterial infection, but I wouldn't mix it with an ich med. I would mix the Mardel brand meds since it says you can.

Since your betta is in a bowl, you can't turn up the heat to treat the ich, so medicine is probably the answer here. Good luck!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #6

wow!!! 4 yrs ...that super duper . sounds like a common bacteria infection caused by aeromonas. Try antibiotics. It could also be old age.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #7

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
betta, wound

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com