Red Spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My juvenile angelfish has red spikes sticking out of her bottom. Just did a 35% PWC and my parameters are within range.

I would treat with Jungles Parasite Clear, or if they are eating the better alternative is their anti-parasitic food which works very well.

Where could I find that? I got Tetra Parasite Clear Tablets at PetSmart because that was all they had. She is still eating and I was going to buy that as I saw it online but not instore.

HUKIT said:
Walmart is only place locally any longer, but the food is available at Petsmart.

My sister and I are going to a few petstores to try and get some jungle food. I treated the water with the fizzy tablets so can't I still use dewormer food?

episom salt can work as a laxative for fish, but i would do some research first, on dosage and effect on your worms. I've also heard shelled peas can help with this too. Of course worms and a constipated fish are separate things. Also garlic with the food can be helpful, and consider adding melafix as a general antibiotic. Best thing is medicated food though. Good luck!

uh.oh... said:
episom salt can work as a laxative for fish, but i would do some research first, on dosage and effect on your worms. I've also heard shelled peas can help with this too. Of course worms and a constipated fish are separate things. Also garlic with the food can be helpful, and consider adding melafix as a general antibiotic. Best thing is medicated food though. Good luck!

Thanks for the help, shes such a sweet fish, she swimsuit through my fingers when I done PWCs. I rwally hope I can save her.

This is can be very bad. Camallanus Worms are one of the worst pests to deal with since they are so resistant to most medications and treatments. I have read of other aquarists using at least one successful treatment to rid themselves of these pests. It is an anti-parasitic used by vets called levamisole hydrochloride. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

If you follow the links below you can find out what you need to do:

http://www.petfish.net
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf

Good luck with this!

This is can be very bad. Camallanus Worms are one of the worst pests to deal with since they are so resistant to most medications and treatments. I have read of other aquarists using at least one successful treatment to rid themselves of these pests. It is an anti-parasitic used by vets called levamisole hydrochloride. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

If you follow the links below you can find out what you need to do:

http://www.petfish.net
http://www.
.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf

Good luck with this!

Levamisole is available by prescription from a vet only is not needed for worms, Metrozoidale and praziquantel is a much better treatment for parasites which is why I recommended Parasite Clear which contains both.

It is available from your vet and can be used for this purpose. Your vet may also be able to advise on the administration of it to your fish.

Levamisole hydrochloride is also called Fenbendazole and is available in a product called Panacur or Safe-Guard. Both are made by Hoechst and are available at feed stores and many pet stores. There are various other generics available. The proper dosages are discussed in the links given above. You can also ask your vet for their suggestions.

From my understanding of what I've heard about and read, the 2 medications that you listed are not as effective against this parasite. I would normally agree with you about their use with most other parasites, but not this one.

Metronidazole is used mainly for anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.
Praziquantel is an anti-parasitic that is usually effective against external and some internal parasites, but, from what I've seen, not the best to use against Camallanus Worms.

But if anyone has had any success with these two other medications against this pest, please let me know.

It is available from your vet and can be used for this purpose. Your vet may also be able to advise on the administration of it to your fish.

Levamisole hydrochloride is also called Fenbendazole and is available in a product called Panacur or Safe-Guard. Both are made by Hoechst and are available at feed stores and many pet stores. There are various other generics available. The proper dosages are discussed in the links given above. You can also ask your vet for their suggestions.

From my understanding of what I've heard about and read, the 2 medications that you listed are not as effective against this parasite. I would normally agree with you about their use with most other parasites, but not this one.

Metronidazole is used mainly for anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.
Praziquantel is an anti-parasitic that is usually effective against external and
some internal parasites, but, from what I've seen, not the best to use against
Camallanus Worms.

But if anyone has had any success with these two other medications against
this pest, please let me know.

No offense but reading forums on the Internet and real world experience is drastically different. I've used Metro and Prazi for treatment of worms numerous times when running a LFS.

I understand that quite well, but have you ever used them against Camallanus Worms specifically. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I have no way of knowing that. You just did not specify whether you had ever dealt with them before. That is why I stated right away that I have had no direct experience with them, thank God.

The information I provided is not just from forums on the Internet or Wikipedia. They are good places to start if you are trying to research something, but notoriously unreliable in some cases. What I posted is based on the experiences of people I know and sources that are more factual than say, I heard somewhere... Otherwise I would not provide the information. I don't post hearsay unless I can verify the information. The links I provided are just the clearest explanations I could find on how to use the treatment listed without being too scientific. Scientific papers can be too difficult for most folks to decipher.

If needed I may be able to list sources, but it would take awhile to track them all down.

I've treated Camallanus Worms successfully three times with Prazi and Metro. There's plenty of other success stories out there if researched using this medication combined with their medicated food.

I've treated Camallanus Worms successfully three times with Prazi and Metro. There's plenty of other success stories out there if researched using this medication combined with their medicated food.

Good, that's all I needed to know. If he can use them effectively, then they should even cost less than the Fenbendazole will. I only suggested it because I've seen it be effective in nearly every case with this pest, but hadn't heard the same of the others.

Sorry to hear that you had to deal with them 3 times though. That sucks.:(

I do like using Jungle Parasite Clear for many problems that you encounter in the tank though. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom