Red Spots On Two Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodcatl493

Aquarium Advice Activist
My two goldfish have small red spots, not a lot, but around the body on the scales. They have had them for a while, and they are still acting normally. No signs of sickness except these.
Tank Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM
Temp: 82-83 Fahrenheit
PH: 7.6-8.2 (Can't tell what it is, just being as accurate as I can)

25 gallon fish tank. I did a full cleanup 4 days ago, so that's how long it's had to cycle. I do water changes/gravel vac every month. That removes around 30-40% of the water in the tank. I do full cleanups every 3 months.

Filter: Marineland Emperor 400, does 400 gallons per hour. The tank is turned over every 5 minutes.

Fish: 2 Goldfish, 3 Cory Catfish, 1 Gourami, and 1 Pleco. 7 fish total.

Diet hasn't been changed, the only new thing is the filter which I added a day after the tank was started. That seems to be doing just fine according to the chemical tests. Pictures below.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1467733621134.jpg
    1467733621134.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 1467733631830.jpg
    1467733631830.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 116
Hi, out of interest did you test the water before the water change? And was that with the API freshwater master test kit? Also does the full change involve the filter as well.

Pretty late here but water chemistry would be first thought, along with a few things on the stocking, etc that could be optimised better.

What's stocking? And before the water change the water was greenish/brownish. Fish died. I went on vacation and the person taking care of the fish didn't take care of them well. I changed everything including the filter. I didn't test the water before the water change but I know it was horrible. I need to check and see what testing kit I used.

Stocking was the fish stocking level which looks high for the tank and also mixing cold-water / tropical fish. This stocking link is pretty useful.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

A lot of members will do a 25 to 45% weekly water change. I do around 35% weekly. This will help water chemistry which will help with the goldfish, however they will get too large for the tank and I would re-home them.

Excess light will cause green-water algae blooms. Reducing tank lighting to say 6 hours per day will help there.

Filter changes - be careful not to replace all the filter media and put the tank into a mini-cycle. I think you are aware of this but many people will only replace a portion of filter media with each clean OR swish out in old tank water and re-use.

I'd suspect that shifting to a more regular, partial water change will improve tank stability and be less stressful - this will in turn help the fish. I don't see a treatment need so far.

I know most of this, but I just need to apply it. Is it possible for me to seek the Goldfish to the pet shop? I do want to give them a new home because I know that they'll get too big.

The problem with water changes is that when I vacuum the gravel the water is sucked out as well. I can just place the wand in the water to do water changes. I didn't replace filter media because I wanted to cycle the tank as new. What I did was float the bio-wheels in the tank with the old filter running for about half and hour and that seems to have worked well. My tank is in one of the worst locations pertaining to light, it's surrounded by glass doors. I'll send a picture.

Ouch - that is difficult. I have a small tank that gets a lot of natural light and have put tank backing around two sides. On yours I'd see if you can get anything tasteful to do three sides. Or that would do the back and back half of the two sides. I have found it makes a difference getting rid of natural light out of the equation.

I had a similar problem with the gravel vac sucking up gravel and went to a bare bottom tank. That is a bit extreme though. My sisters tank was like that with a few potted plants and didn't look too bad (once used to it :) ). I think I sourced some different gravel vacs to try as well.

Love the room though! (Except I think you need another tank to balance the sofa to fish tank ratio ?).

Yeah. ? I was thinking of the covers on three sides, I think that's a good idea. This is actually my living room is the tank's in a pretty active room.
My gravel vac doesn't suck out the gravel. What you have to do with this one is suck on the tube until the water is halfway, plug it, then put the tube in the bucket. So the flow isn't that powerful.

So, should I just bring then to the vet?

Are the spots getting worse at all or any swelling? I think you were going to try a few things like increasing water changes and cutting out light getting to the tank to see if that works? Just checking where it got to.

Tetra fungus guard would cover bacterial infections,

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

'Contains two antibiotics as Furan 2 (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer.'

Well, as far as I can tell they haven't worsened or bottom better. Don't remember when they occurred. I already have ich treatment medicine. I'll get back to you with the name of the treatment.

The tank is 30 gallons, the medication is called kordon rid-ich plus
The tank I just measured and it's actually 30 gallons... Oops

Back
Top Bottom