Red streaked bettas in bowls.. :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She seems to be doing okay. She seems happy and active and curious. I am having a hard time keeping the ammonia in her tank down...I recently reduced her feeding (5 pellets to 2) after reading about bettas' tendencies to eat way more than they need to :lol: I'm going to cycle the tank that Gamma was in and hopefully find a more ethically stored betta.:ermm:
How frequently do you feed her? A betta's stomach is aboutthe size of its eye (to give you a visual reference). Yeah, bettas are pretty prone to bloat os keeping their feedings small is always a good idea.
I am glad she is still doing well. :)

Hmm I feed her every day...I have some frozen peas so I may skip feeding her today and give her 1/4 of a mushy one.

Bettas do well with one fasting day a week. You can also follow the fasting day by a day where all just get 1 pea to eat. IME, mine will get bloat if I feed them everyday, so I skip some days. :)

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm still working through a cycle and have sky high ammonia even with water changes...I want it to go as quickly as possible! Yesterday I had ammonia between .25 and .5 ppm and I did a 15% ish water change. Today I checked and it looked OVER .5 ppm :nono: Did a 30% ish water change. Not sure if I'm doing this right but I did think that the ammonia needed to be kept under .25 for Jenny's sake.

If you ammonia is at .5ppm doing a 50% PWC should get you down to around .25ppm. Just let your test kit be your guide as far as water changes are concerned. I did a fish-in cycle when I first started out and was tasked with daily water changes to keep things under control. It's a lot of work but in the long run it will pay off!

Thanks, I'll keep up with that. I'd also like to find some really long gloves so I don't get sunscreen in the tank. I hadn't really thought about that in depth until today. Anyway, "tanks" for the advice, I definitely needed the help

Best of luck with your tank cycling and your betta! I have a little blue betta in a fluval chi that is cycling right now. The fluvals are really pretty. I like that blue gravel you have in yours.

Thanks ;) it's sand. It took a long time to get all of the water clear :lol: I thought it would dye my tank blue but after a lot of rinsing it all came out :)

lelouchzeta said:
Thanks ;) it's sand. It took a long time to get all of the water clear :lol: I thought it would dye my tank blue but after a lot of rinsing it all came out :)

That's sand!? Amazing! It's such a pretty blue!

lelouchzeta said:
:love: thanks. I was going to get black but I saw the blue and changed my mind. Have you ever used sand? It was my first time.

I have sand and pebbles in my tank right now a fluval chi 5gallon). I went to a local park, pebble beach and collected the sand and pebbles. I boiled them for 15-20 minutes and then rinsed the sand really good to get rid of any little roots and anything else that was undesirable. And viola! This is my result and I love it!

Okay, I need to change some things :lol:
First question:
What kind of light is that?!
Second question:
What kind of plants are those?
Third question:
Why didn't I think to remove that little planting box?!

lelouchzeta said:
Okay, I need to change some things :lol:
First question:
What kind of light is that?!
Second question:
What kind of plants are those?
Third question:
Why didn't I think to remove that little planting box?!

The light is the light on the bottom of the filter, plus it's near a north facing window and I had the table lamp on. I'm thinking of putting one of those daylight lights in the table lamp.

The plants in the front of the tank are anubias (not sure what kind. They are different from each other but the tags just said anubias), in the back are lemon Bacopa. I also have a little aqua fern. I don't really know what type exactly. I have been told and read that anubias are easy plants for beginners.

My mother in law gave me the aquarium and she didn't give me the little planting box. She had 2 goldfish in it and not surprisingly they died.

Oh, there is also a Rotala Indica in the back but I've had to throw half of it away and the rest ain't looking to hot so I may toss it out too. I want to get some micro sword and I'm going to put a piece of driftwood in.

How is your betta doing today??

It's a shame about the goldfish; I wish that they didn't have to die at the hands of our misinformation.
Jenny is doing great, I want to change up the aquascape so that she has more visual stimulation I guess. She seems bored, although it's not as though the tank is barren. She seems too intelligent to be kept alone in a boring tank :ermm:

lelouchzeta said:
It's a shame about the goldfish; I wish that they didn't have to die at the hands of our misinformation.
Jenny is doing great, I want to change up the aquascape so that she has more visual stimulation I guess. She seems bored, although it's not as though the tank is barren. She seems too intelligent to be kept alone in a boring tank :ermm:

I'm glad she's doing good. I say go for it! Make the tank as visually interesting for yourself and it will also make your fish happy. :). King Neptune seems to like his plants. He's always swimming around them, up and down, this way and that.

How's Jenny doing? I hope all is going well!

My betta, king Neptune, may be trying to build a bubble nest! I'll have to keep an eye out and see if it gets bigger. :)

Jenny seems happy, I need to do all the tests later today and definitely do a water test. I forgot to yesterday :whistle:. I had a computer science lab due. She's in my boyfriend's apartment because I had Gamma's tank in my room :( poor Gamma. I am trying to cycle that tank and maybe this weekend I'll check the LFS' stock of bettas.
I love watching her explore her tank. I changed up the decor because I felt like she was bored :lol: she seems to like having new things to explore...I hope I don't have to change it every month to keep her entertained :lol: expensive!

lelouchzeta said:
Jenny seems happy, I need to do all the tests later today and definitely do a water test. I forgot to yesterday :whistle:. I had a computer science lab due. She's in my boyfriend's apartment because I had Gamma's tank in my room :( poor Gamma. I am trying to cycle that tank and maybe this weekend I'll check the LFS' stock of bettas.
I love watching her explore her tank. I changed up the decor because I felt like she was bored :lol: she seems to like having new things to explore...I hope I don't have to change it every month to keep her entertained :lol: expensive!

I'm glad she's doing well! I know what your an about tank decorations! I've getting my husband to go and find stuff for me. He's gotten me lava rock and driftwood. I got the sand and pebbles from the river. All I've had to buy are the plants! It's kind of a pain boiling everything I find but it's also fun and definitely saves money!

Back
Top Bottom