Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Red streaked goldfish - Help!!

I recently set up a tank and am just getting back in the flow of fishtank care after being away from it for about 7 years.
We're starting with goldfish - hoping to make it easier.
All has been going well - keeping the water changed regularly, etc, until one of the fish has a few white spots on his tail (ICH I presume) and another has red streaks all over its body. It seems happy enough but looks horrible.
Any suggestions on what to do?
From what I understand goldfish don't like the temperature above the high 70's and heat treatment for ich needs atleast 88 degrees.
I don't want any fatalities
Please help

Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

[center:c8034ab5e4] Welcome to AA, pisceanbliss!! [/center:c8034ab5e4]

Some of the following Qs are repeats, but they are my standard set of Qs:
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Check out pictures here to compare your fish to fish with ich.

The red streaks--does it look like your fish are bleeding under their scales? look at this link and match up the problems your fish are facing to the descriptions given:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #3

About my tank - It's a 10 gallon tank with 10 fairly small (about 1 inch) variety colored goldfish that was seeet up as a homescool project for my children. The tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. I'm using an aqua-tech 5-15 power filter. I haven't added any chemical/medications and would prefer to do things by acclimating the tank 'naturally' whenever possible. I've added 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt to the tank.
I'll have to get the exacts on the perimeters of the tank - I don't recall them right now but the ammonia was a bit high last test. Then I did a 25% water change using the aquarium siphon to clean the gravel 3 days ago.
Nothing new has been added to the tank.

As far as their symptoms - the one goldfish has white spots (about 5 of them) that definitely look like ich
- the other is a silver bodied goldfish that has red streaks and patches all over his body - around the gills but not isolated to them. He was fine one night, the next morning he was red. It doesn't look exactly like any of the photos I've seen. It's not splotchy but more full bodied.

What I'm seeking is the best way to treat them - without medication if possible. If not, what medication is best.

Has anyone heard of using collodial silver in an aquarium - positive and negative effects?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What I'm seeking is the best way to treat them - without medication if possible. If not, what medication is best.
If the fish have hemorrhagic septicemia, you will need to treat with meds. Kanamycin based meds work nicely.

Quote:
It's a 10 gallon tank with 10 fairly small (about 1 inch) variety colored goldfish that was seeet up as a homescool project for my children. The tank has been set up for about 3 weeks.
Here is the problem. That is too many fish for that tank and the fish are stressed. Since goldfish are messy eaters and huge consumers of oxygen, goldfish keepers have a general rule of 10 gals per goldfish.
The tank is cycling, please read about the nitrogen cycle to understand what the fish are going through. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21

Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Ya I second Menagerie's advice about the tank being overcrowded. You should probably return some of the goldfish (probably 7 or 8) or think about getting an outdoor pond and putting them in there. Goldfish also produce lots of waste so there's another reason to have at least 10 gal. per goldfish.

And I don't know but are you suppose to add salt to a goldfish tank?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the insight!!

I'm looking into alternative living conditions for the extra fish (friends with ponds etc) and will consider other tropical fish for our indoor tank.

As far as salt for goldfish - that is part of my intitial question. The package gives instructions for use in goldfish bowls but I don't know how much they can take and if it will be an effective treatment for the ICH situation in the tank. Also trying to find out about the heat tolerance.
The one with the red streaks is vastly improved with a couple of water changes. The streaks are almost all gone.
Ich seems to be the bigger problem right now. Advice on salt and heat anyone?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The package gives instructions for use in goldfish bowls but I don't know how much they can take and if it will be an effective treatment for the ICH situation in the tank.
1 teaspoon/gallon will help and be tolerated. Even up to 1 TBS/gal is fine.
Quote:
Also trying to find out about the heat tolerance.
We were just discussing this last week, but I can't remember. I believe it was decided to up the temp to 78 and treat with salt.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is a good article on ich:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

It recommends a 2-3ppt increase in the salt concentration for the ich treatment, over whatever the salt concentration was before treatment. It is apparently the change in salinity that hits the ich. (2-3ppt is about 2-3 tsp/gal I think). The article goes into the details quite a bit more, and if you really want to learn about it, try this more technical article:

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/476fs.pdf

As far as temperature goes, I think Goldfish can take high temps better than most fish. Mine lived at a temp of 80-82F for an entire summer before I moved them downstairs where it is cooler. According to fishprofiles.com, they can survive 100F for short periods of time, so I think the temp in the 80's will not be a big problem. Just don't change the temperature too quickly and watch for signs of distress.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks all.
I'll let you know how it goes.

The one with the red streaks is almost entirely better now

It feels good to be able to help them, without adding a ton of medications to the tank.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #10

The red streaks cleared.
The ICH seems to be gone.
No fatalities!!

I just increased the salt, upped the temperature.

Even though the tank is crowded and we're waiting for expanded living quarters all seems to be doing well. Everyone looks happy. I'm just doing 25 - 40% water changes once a week.

Inspiring to read everyones success stories. Helps to have support

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com