Red tail black shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brally

Aquarium Advice Newbie
we have a single Red tail black shark in a community tank . He has been fine but today he started frantically swimming at the back of the tank . He has also gone slightly pale in his front half . We did add 2 gouramis to the tank today . Could the added fish stress him out ?

What kind of gouramis? Are they hasseling the shark? What size are the new fish compared to the shark?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To answer your question, yes the new additions could be stressing out your fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have the gouramis claimed any of the sharks territory or something? How are your parameters?

He seems to be alot happier now and his colour has come back . There is a string of christmas light running past the tank . Turning these off also seemed to change his behaviour . Has anyone ever had this happen ?

He is the second largest in the tank . Second to a silver shark . Gourmais are smaller .

He seems to be alot happier now and his colour has come back . There is a string of christmas light running past the tank . Turning these off also seemed to change his behavior . Has anyone ever had this happen ?

I haven't but I know that colors do affect fish and can stress them. For example, some oscars flip the lid (figuratively and literally) when you wear a bright colored shirt if they arent used to it. He may have just been getting used to his tankmates.

we have a single Red tail black shark in a community tank . He has been fine but today he started frantically swimming at the back of the tank . He has also gone slightly pale in his front half . We did add 2 gouramis to the tank today . Could the added fish stress him out ?

When you speak of a community tank, what is in the tank ? Some species don't do well together. Also, what size tank ? This will quite often affect the condition of certain fish. Yes, the new additions could very easily cause stress.

He is the second largest in the tank . Second to a silver shark . Gourmais are smaller .

It may be that you have two sharks that are not compatible and nothing to do with the gouramis. How many of each do you have and what size tank ? This would concern me more at this point.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

When you speak of a community tank, what is in the tank ? Some species don't do well together. Also, what size tank ? This will quite often affect the condition of certain fish. Yes, the new additions could very easily cause stress.

It may be that you have two sharks that are not compatible and nothing to do with the gouramis. How many of each do you have and what size tank ? This would concern me more at this point.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

A good point has been brought up. Sharks are territorial, perhaps the silver shark is causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom