Red-tailed shark not eating much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baronbasher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a very young red-tailed shark (RTS) and I'm not sure if he's been eating bc he looks very skinny.. I've been feeding him mostly frozen blood worms. Does a baby RTS need something smaller than blood worms?

I've started dropping in the the blood worms in the dark at night in hopes that the RTS will have a better chance at getting to the worms.. But he's still looking very thin. Can a young RTS eat blood worms? What's a better choice of food?

Tank: 40gal breeder
Tankmates: all are very young as this is my growing tank
1 RTS
1 clown loach
6 mbuna
1 african dwarf frog
1 small plecostomus

Planning to rehome the cichlids after they put on some size.

77°F
pH 8.0
Ammo 0.0
NitrIte 0.0
NitrAte 10-20

Keep trying, sometimes it takes awhile for a fish to get used to their new environment! Preservation is the key. If you get concerened you can shoot the blood worms right at him with a pippet or something and that should make him eat! Good luck and welcome to AA :)
Also i do agree getting rid of the cichlids is a good idea, also i loved having a tank just for my RTS and i knew he loved, so i would consider having a tank with just him in it. Because he can get big :)

I've started dropping in the the blood worms in the dark at night in hopes that the RTS will have a better chance at getting to the worms.. But he's still looking very thin. Can a young RTS eat blood worms? What's a better choice of food?

Tank: 40gal breeder
Tankmates: all are very young as this is my growing tank
1 RTS
1 clown loach
6 mbuna
1 african dwarf frog
1 small plecostomus

Planning to rehome the cichlids after they put on some size.

77°F
pH 8.0
Ammo 0.0
NitrIte 0.0
NitrAte 10-20
i didnt actually see my rainbow shark eat for at least a month after i got him,your shark is probably just settling in.i know this is a growout tank,but an ADF shouldnt really be with fish,they asre almost blind and have a hard time competing with fish for food.

Jason7894561230 said:
Keep trying, sometimes it takes awhile for a fish to get used to their new environment! Preservation is the key.
What do you mean by preservation?
I have added some plants and moved things around a bit since he was added to the tank..

Back
Top Bottom