Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red Tailed Shark problem

Okay, so after my high finned platy got a white spot on him, he became anti social and then lost a chunk of his tail fin. Now my red tailed shark has a tiny white spot on him and his dorsal fin is chopped up. I have no idea whats going on. I'm now again continuing Melafix treatment and have been performing regular water changes for 3 days now. My nitrites were at 0 and ammonia was at .25 last night. I just did a 50% water change about five minutes ago and haven't tested yet. His tank mates are a betta (who is pretty well behaved and sticks to one side of the tank) and 3 platys, 2 plecos (small) and two gold barbs.

Help please!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Forgot to mention that the platy has been eutanised for four days now.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

so does it look like ich? does the fin look like finrot? are the barbs aggressive towards any of the other fish at all?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The barbs aren't aggressive from what I've noticed. I don't know how any of the fish act when I have their lights out at night. No, it doesn't look like fin rot. I wish I had a QT set up for him.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

But, if it is fin rot, what do I do?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

if it in finrot, pimafix and melafix along with daily 50% pwc's should clear it up... if its not, that wont hurt to do anyways

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Melafix seems to be working. Haven't been able to get pimafix, due to not having a running car. But he's looking better. Fin seems to be healing.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

sounds like the melafix is doing the trick, hope he makes it
good luck

fishman
saltwatertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tank? There are some fish in there that will get big, and others that are agressive, so maybe they are just a little stressed out?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a 29g. The plecos are absolutely fine and keep to the side of the tank or in their cave. And the dang pet shop never told me the gold barbs can be semi-agressive at times. The shark and betta are so peaceful with every one of their tankmates. But yeah ran out of money and low on melafix, and straight up out of aquarium salt -_- The shark hasn't lost any of his pleco wannabe personality, and only has a nip or two on his dorsal which seem to be healing up, and the headbutt wound is clearing up too. Now I just need more melafix and salt!!!

The battle continues.

Tags
led, red tailed shark, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com