Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Red thread hanging off fish

Hi guys,

One of my guppies has this weird red thread hanging off of her abdomen. At first I thought it was poop, but it's been there for way too long (about a week or more) and is about 1 cm long. It's really thin, and looks like it is white tipped. She is also pregnant, so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with her pregnancy. I am worried that it might be a parasite. If it is, what can I do about it? Does anyone else have the same kind of thing on their fishies?

Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
I've had the same thing on my fish for hours or days at a time. I doubt you'd see a parasite that big on a fish. Most parasites are microscopic, or basely visible to the human eye (e.g. "Ich"). I think it is, as you suspect, waste. Some fish just never seem to get rid of it. Doesn't bother them, though!

If you look at your fish mostly when you're feeding them, this may accentuate the phenomenon in your eyes, since this is when their digestive systems are most active.

As to the red color. If you feed your fish a colored flake food (which most ppl do), then the waste can also be colored! I certainly see that with my head-and-tail-light tetras all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much. Let's see what others say, though....
Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a parasite. Hard to say what kind; does it have a sorta V shape on the end? Could be a anchor worm then.

Theres some pics of parasites here: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html . Maybe you can ID what your guppy has from there.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

*high fives madasafish*

Wheeee! Simulpost *grin*

Btw, another NY? Have you joined the NY group on here? I forget.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com