Red Tuxedo Swordtail not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric25ca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi can someone help me with this?

I've had two red tuxedo swordtails for the past 11 months. Both are male and are usually very active. Never had any problems with these fish up until this week.

For a few days now one of the swordtails has not been eating. It has been swimming in the bottom corner of the fish tank for a few days, and does not move much unless another fish approaches it. It does not eat at all. Once in a while the fish starts shaking like it has tremors. Also notices white stringy feces today, which is odd since in has not eaten anything in a few days. It keeps opening and closing its mouth and its gills constantly, which is odd when compared to the other swordtail.

Could this be a parasite? If so, How do I treat it?

Thanks in advance.

Tank set-up: 1 year
Tank size : 29 gallons
Fish: 1 peppered cory cat; 2 red tuxedo swordtails; three patties (type unknown)

PH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 120

Hi welcome to AA. It could very well be a parasite, the symptoms are suggesting that. I would first do a pwc of 50% then add some meds such as Jungle's parasite clear. Since the fish isn't eating medicated foods will not help.

Do you have live plants in the tank? What kind of test strips are you using? The reason I ask is the lack of nitrates. Established tanks without being heavily planted should show some nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom