? regarding treating tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokismom808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I notice my green tiger barb that I had for about a year was covered with white spots. I immediately took him out and put him in my empty 3 gallon tank with some of the tanks water mixed with aquarium salt. I also put in the only heater I had which didn't do much. So this morning when I went to check on him he was dead. :'(. When I took him out and looked at him I couldn't see any spots? Is that how its supposed to look like. Do I need to treat the rest of fish in my tank:
5 more tiger barbs
1 clown loach
1 very large pleco
1 panda Cory
This is a picture I took of the poor guys.
Does it look like Ick? And what IYO is the best way to treat my 30 gallon without a heater since I have no way to get a decent one in a hurry???

Attachments

• image-995099116.jpg
    image-995099116.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4191125908.jpg
    image-4191125908.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 45
Yesterday I notice my green tiger barb that I had for about a year was covered with white spots. I immediately took him out and put him in my empty 3 gallon tank with some of the tanks water mixed with aquarium salt. I also put in the only heater I had which didn't do much. So this morning when I went to check on him he was dead. :'(. When I took him out and looked at him I couldn't see any spots? Is that how its supposed to look like. Do I need to treat the rest of fish in my tank:
5 more tiger barbs
1 clown loach
1 very large pleco
1 panda Cory
This is a picture I took of the poor guys.
Does it look like Ick? And what IYO is the best way to treat my 30 gallon without a heater since I have no way to get a decent one in a hurry???

That is almost for sure ick... I would treat your other fish if they start showing signs because if you don't treat them and they have ick (which spreads very quickly) they could die and you wouldn't know.....

You also want to get some nice ick medicine you can even get some you put directly on the gills that you don't need a heater for.....

Obsessedfishlover said:
That is almost for sure ick... I would treat your other fish if they start showing signs because if you don't treat them and they have ick (which spreads very quickly) they could die and you wouldn't know.....

Yeah 1 more barb showing signs this morning...
What is the easiest method to do? I've never had to deal with treating sick fish before so I'd rather not do anything to complicated (afraid to kill them all)

Yeah 1 more barb showing signs this morning...
What is the easiest method to do? I've never had to deal with treating sick fish before so I'd rather not do anything to complicated (afraid to kill them all)

Well is it just one showing signs of it? If it is transfer that one and I can post a pic of my ich medicine if the signs get worse as you r using the medicine double dose it then..... Ask your local pet store clerk/ helper

Also a method I copy and pasted is below.... This is probably the easiest most affective....

Bring up the water temperature to 85-88 degrees F (if you think you fish can handle it).
As mentioned above, Ich can attach itself to the gills of fish and make it hard for them to breathe. It is therefore a good idea to increase aeration in the aquarium to keep the levels of oxygen really high. Adding more aeration is especially important if you increase the water temperature since cool water holds more oxygen than warmer water.
Add roughly one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. (You can adjust this amount depending on how salt tolerant you fish are.)
Carry out a series of water changes and clean all the gravel. Changing around 50% of the water once a day is recommended.
Continue the treatment for at least one week, since you can only kill the free-swimming Ich parasites. The speed of the life cycle is temperature dependant (it will for instance take three days at 80 degrees F) and continuing treatment for an entire week is recommended to be on the safe side.
If this is not enough to combat the Ich outbreak, you need to visit your local fish store and pick up some anti-Ich medication. Unfortunately, the Ich parasites seem to become more and more resilient towards treatment each year. Lazy aquarists and pet shop keepers are often tempted to constantly use medications to fend off disease, instead of devoting themselves to frequent water changes etcetera, and this makes it easy for resistant strains of parasites and bacteria to develop.

Back
Top Bottom