Removing Medication With Carbon- How Long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Should Go

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

So I finally figured out that I had Columnaris in my tank. So I started with Kanaplex. Seems to be working.

Now I'm just wondering, when I want to remove the meds from my tank, how long should I keep the carbon in the filter? 36h, 48h, 72h? I don't want to do it longer than necessary since this is a planted tank.

Also, does anyone know if it's ok to keep dosing Flourish Excel while treating with the Kanaplex? Seachem doesn't say anything about this.

Thanks.

You could just change water to remove the med.
Best columnaris treatment now is both kanna and nitrufurazone at the same time...

To remove I would change 50% then run carbon for a week and change another 50%.

I can't find much on mixing kanaplax and excel although I thought this had come up recently. I can't find anything that says you shouldn't do it but hesitant so say so. Hard to find much on these topics.

With medicated foods I've still noticed improvement in fish at the same time as glut dosing.

With medicated foods I've still noticed improvement in fish at the same time as glut dosing.

That's interesting. I would think glut. does kill some bacteria. It is used as a disinfectant after all, although they mix it with an activator.

The way it can melt plants and kill fish if it's overdosed really makes you think the bacteria won't like it either.

That's interesting. I would think glut. does kill some bacteria. It is used as a disinfectant after all, although they mix it with an activator.

The way it can melt plants and kill fish if it's overdosed really makes you think the bacteria won't like it either.

I might have posted badly here? I just meant that the medicated foods still seem to work despite the glut dosing. Not that the glut dosing is acting as a med just by itself. Just in case I confused the topic.

I was thinking glut should work like that as a bactericide as you mention but I don't know what levels would be needed. Might be interesting to see what levels of formaldehyde are dosed for say ich treatment and compare to glut plant dosing. Will see if I get a chance on the weekend.

I might have posted badly here? I just meant that the medicated foods still seem to work despite the glut dosing. Not that the glut dosing is acting as a med just by itself. Just in case I confused the topic.

I was thinking glut should work like that as a bactericide as you mention but I don't know what levels would be needed. Might be interesting to see what levels of formaldehyde are dosed for say ich treatment and compare to glut plant dosing. Will see if I get a chance on the weekend.

Ah I read that first part wrong lol...but good to hear it doesn't interact with the meds.

Gluteraldahyde would probably kill a lot of stuff but I would think the levels needed to actually cure Columnaris or Ich or other diseases would probably melt your plants and start killing your fish too. 3x overdose is the most I've heard anyone doing, and that melted vals and some stem plants like Cabomba. Fish didn't seem to mind though.

Ah I read that first part wrong lol...but good to hear it doesn't interact with the meds.

Gluteraldahyde would probably kill a lot of stuff but I would think the levels needed to actually cure Columnaris or Ich or other diseases would probably melt your plants and start killing your fish too. 3x overdose is the most I've heard anyone doing, and that melted vals and some stem plants like Cabomba. Fish didn't seem to mind though.

Makes sense I think.

I've dosed to 5x and still had infected fish so don't think it was acting as a prophylactic. Or maybe it was at lower dose but was weakening fish at higher dose. Er, not really sure.

Formalin is said to be more toxic in soft, acidic water so maybe what works in one tank, may not in another I'm also wondering. So maybe I would be OK dosing meds and glut, but another tank wouldn't ?. Also not really sure there either, I've searched for studies but haven't come across much at all.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html

Back
Top Bottom