Rena Filstar users: Learn from my mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I hope you and your tanks are doing well. First off let me say that I am very happy with my Rena and I am by no means bashing it as I have two of them and they both do an excellent job. The only thing I ran into (and this is probably just my dumb luck) is that during a water change I accidentally moved my intake a in a way that the top connecting piece came apart from the two lower connecting pieces, and one of my two brand new baby Rotkeil Severum got sucked into my intake, and by the time I noticed him/her missing right after finishing my water change it was already too late. It was such a shame too because they were both doing so well in there and getting along well, ARGH!
:banghead::nono::banghead:

I am going to replace him/her in the next few days but after that I took both of my intakes out and used a thin layer of silicone to bond those pieces together so that I can hopefully avoid that problem in the future. Next time I buy a tank and buy a new canister filter, I will bond the top two pieces together before I even put it in the tank so I don't have to scrub the area clean beforehand again. Just some food for thought, hopefully other people haven't run into this problem and this is just a Murphy's Law thing for me, but I would hate to see anyone else lose a healthy fish without warning like that!!!

I think the angelfish thought it was a game!

One rosy barb I looked down for a few seconds, looked up to find it stuck at outlet hose and had to pull vac apart. Some scales were missing but made a full recovery.

That's good to hear! Sadly the intake on my Rena was juuust big enough that the poor guy got sucked right up, probably right when I started the filter back up. I picked up a replacement today. Hopefully I have better luck with this one :)

Back
Top Bottom