Reoccurring white stuff on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarlyC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a problem with reoccurring white specs on my glass and aquarium decor. I initially thought it might be ich so I have treated my tank a few time to get rid of it. I no longer see any spots on any fish but my glass is covered with this white/ clear web like substance. I’m not sure that these would be snail eggs as I don’t have any in my tank and never had. I have also take a razor scraper and cleared the glass a few times but it keeps coming back so any guidance I can get would be great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 28
Ich doesn’t grow on glass. When you look closely any teeny things moving?

It does look like a bit of movement if you look close but I can’t tell if it’s just due to the movement in the water. If I don’t scrape the glass it seems to multiply quite quickly on everything in the tank but none of my fish seem sick

Not sure if this pic helps a bit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 23
There are small bug like critters in all aquariums, detritus worms, copepods (look up copepods to see if it looks like that) but fish usually eat them up so they’re not as noticeable. That may be an indication of high organic load.

What is your tank size/ stock and water parameters?

I have had a problem with reoccurring white specs on my glass and aquarium decor. I initially thought it might be ich so I have treated my tank a few time to get rid of it. I no longer see any spots on any fish but my glass is covered with this white/ clear web like substance. I’m not sure that these would be snail eggs as I don’t have any in my tank and never had. I have also take a razor scraper and cleared the glass a few times but it keeps coming back so any guidance I can get would be great!

It’s biofilm. Perfectly normal. I tend to scrape the front but leave the back and side for my ottos and snails to graze on. Biofilms are the sign of a healthy tank. The white bits are just tiny particles of decomposing matter sticking to it. What do you have as a filter/water movement?

Back
Top Bottom