Repeated problems with fungas, seeking advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently the angels are covered in what appears to be a white haze. Definitely looks fungas oriented? I'll see if I can get good pictures, but it's hard without the perfect lighting since it just looks like a white haze covering them.

My questions:
I just finished with my 2 yoyo loaches in a QT tank with melafix and permafix per it's instructions and I lost one of the yoyos. The other one seems to be doing well and I have readded him back to the main tank. I've had to move two of the angels over to the QT tank and have started their treatments now. Should I just do the main tank? Will I just reinfect my fish by putting them back into the main tank? Does anyone know how melafix and permafix affect plants?

Nearly every angel (I've tried several even from different sources) and dwarf gourami seems to die in my tank. Does anyone see anything that I'm doing that maybe I could be doing better? Most of them seem to suffer the same kind of fungas oriented deaths.

I've really had a pretty horrible year with this new tank and appreciate any help you guys can provide.

General stats:

nh4 0 no2 0 no3 (barely detectable) ph 7.9-8 (chem kit, not strips) temp is a pretty regular 79F

110g Tall tank that is almost a year old. Although I consistantly have problems with angel and gourami fish in general in my tank ever since new. They never seem to survive long.

Fluval 404, Eheim 2028, and two low flow power heads to move the water around in the back.

3 clown loaches (3"), 1 yo yo loach (4"), 3 long fin skirt tetras (2"), 1 king tiger pleco (3"), 2 clown plecos (2"), 1 large (sunset?) gourami ("5"), 1 pearl gourami (4"), 4 angel fish (2-3")

I generally do at 10% change once a week in the summer (water too hot to do larger changes easily) and 25% every two weeks in the winter.

The angels are all about 3 weeks old max in my tank. They're new, but this seems to be an on going problem.

I've recently added new plants. It's a planted tank that I've experimented with different plants in. (4x65w CF corallife light)

I feed general tetra flake every day for the upper fish and switch between sinking shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and "mixed" wafers for the lower fish.

Are you dosing co2 and nutrients for the plants? With that much light they are probably gobbling up all the nutrients and that can do screwy things.

No. But I'm at ~2.3 wpg so I should still be good at the under 2.5? The plants themselves haven't been doing so well lately either actually. I still have my 2x65 CF but it didn't seem like enough light.

What will lower nutrients do to the fish? Is there any way I can test for this with my master kit and possibly provide you with some sort of value?

thanks!

Because this is a tall tank, the plants may not be getting the neccessary wattage. Increase the PWC to 25% every week and see if that helps your angels. Some fish simply need more upkeep and there are some fish IME that you just won't have luck with.
I generally do at 10% change once a week in the summer (water too hot to do larger changes easily) and 25% every two weeks in the winter.
I know Phoenix gets HOT (helped my sister move there in August 2001), but why can't you get water the same temp as the tank to do PWC? Are you using a python?

Thanks for responding! Yeah I know it's a tall tank, I suppose it's not ideal for a really good planted tank. =( I've not had very good luck with my plants either and since I put in the new light most of them seem to be covered in algae now. Although with 2.3 wpg even though it's tall I would think that would be pretty good.

From what I have read angels are suppose to be a pretty hardy species? I certainly do NOT have good luck with angels or dwarf gouramis. I don't want to think about what I've lost in the past year in those two species. Right now I have the angels in a QT tank that I'm medicating and keeping a close eye on.

25% PWC on a 110 g tank is 27g. That's a lot of buckets that I would have to somehow get higher than my tank to siphon or get the water in there. The tap water in my house is 90F in the summers and cannot be added directly to the tank. This of course means I have to let the buckets sit for awhile to cool off. So yeah, basically the problem is I want to use my python but can't, so in the summer I'll do 10g and sometimes 20g (huge PITA) PWCs once a week when I can't use the python directly.

Back
Top Bottom