Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Rescue pet store betta

Hi all, my bf and I have several aquariums, we recently just cycled a 10 gal that was free. It has good filtration and a heater. We were at the local pet store and found a betta that was very unique. We decided to get him and make the new 10g a betta tank. He didn't look good in the store, laying on his side in the tiny jar, but we are hoping he will perk up once in good water, room to swim etc. We've had him about 12 hours now, in the 10g. He is swimming more but seems very weak? Like he runs out of energy quick and lays on the bottom. We offered some food but he didn't even notice. He looks thin to me, we have another 10g betta tank and compared to him he's much thinner. I'm thinking maybe he is malnourished but I don't know how to get him to eat? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi there,

There are a couple things that you can try to help encourage your betta to eat. I would suggest first trying to get him to eat some frozen daphnia. It's available at most local fish/pet stores and I have found that my bettas go nuts over it.

If that doesn't work, you can try soaking some of the food in pure garlic juice. Though I've never tried it myself, I have heard that many people have had good luck with this.

I've also had really good luck with feeding my bettas Omega One Betta Buffet pellets and New Life Spectrum betta formula pellets. I have found both of these at local pet stores, but it seems to vary by location.

Be sure to double check that the temperature is holding between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit. And also check that there is not an ammonia or nitrite spike going on either.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your rescue.

Tags
betta, rescue, store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com