Rescued cichlid has prolapse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefly1152

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a fish I rescued from a severely overstocked aquarium (30 new/old world mix in a 46g bowfront) . I've had it now for about a week. I was wondering if there's anything that can be done for the prolapse.

I've been keeping the water clean and feeding nori sheets, omega one veggie pellets, and omega one cichlid pellets. I know it was fed tetra cichlid pellets from the previous owner because they tried to give me them.

The cichlid acts normal. Swims, begs for food, ect. One of the other cichlids has finrot, hence the lots of water changes.
20190625_090538.jpg

One of my Acei had prolapse a lot worse than this. I stopped feeding and did an extra water change during the week and it went away in its own within 2 weeks. If it’s acting normal, it should be fine. Just keep your eyes on it

I wouldn't over water change. 20% a week. But you need bacteria in the tank or else your hurting more than helping. Try adding some bueno Aires tetras they make good friends.

I wouldn't over water change. 20% a week. But you need bacteria in the tank or else your hurting more than helping. Try adding some bueno Aires tetras they make good friends.
I'm not adding anymore fish. It's mostly a 55g mbuna tank with one jewel. Already have 12 fish in there.

Also, bacteria is in the filter. The tank isn't planted, so there's nowhere for the nitrates to go. I honestly think small changes a couple times a week won't hurt anything, so long as I leave the filter alone. Omve I figure out how to heal the finrot and prolapse, then I'll try a 30% once a week.

I hope your fish is still healthy and this thread is not too old for reply. There's not much you can do if it is a prolapse. You can use epson salt and feed it some peas as laxitive. Idea being to loosen him up to provide room for the prolapse to retract back into the fish. Ive read you can push it back in with your finger but I couldnt do that! 'Gutsy' lived the best life i could give him as a normal fish and then one day...

Back
Top Bottom