RIP Lucy (Betta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm devastated... I heard a splashing around in my 29g tank tonight and rushed over assuming it was a little dominance tiff going on...

I immediately saw my Betta, Lucy, doing flips and spins and twirls upside down, backwards, sideways and drifting down to the gravel. Completely spazzing out!

I looked in and she was lying on her side... I immediately scooped her out and put her in my 1g to get a closer look... She couldn't right herself and was doing full alligator rolls and tight super fast rolls/somersaults and then laying on her side on the surface... Her gills were barely moving... Maybe 2-3 times a minute and she wasn't surfacing for air... (as she floated).

She was acting normally earlier ... Swimming and rushing to greet me... Eating well...

Suddenly... Dead... Not a mark on her body... Nothing out of place...

She looked like she had a major seizure and then just laid there.
I watched her take one big hefty breath with her gills and that was it... It took all she had to do that... :-(

RIP Lucy... You were one of my favorite Bettas and the most animated fish I've ever owned... <3. :-(

image-1391933503.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear:( I also know what it's like to lose a fish that we had a special place in our heart for. Sorry :(

Austin.b said:
I'm so sorry to hear:( I also know what it's like to lose a fish that we had a special place in our heart for. Sorry :(

Thank you Austin... I just don't understand what happened. When I researched seizures in fish, bettas in particular, people mentioned lights turning on suddenly or a scare of some sort... Then I also saw some references to Epilepsy....

Sigh... I'm just so sad today about her...

Im very sorry Oc..it happends:/ im with austin, i have gone through some pretty sad losses with my angels, so im right there with you on this..

As i say this, i am watching my betta and this makes me appreciate him even more,,,

Gboy66 said:
Im very sorry Oc..it happends:/ im with austin, i have gone through some pretty sad losses with my angels, so im right there with you on this..

As i say this, i am watching my betta and this makes me appreciate him even more,,,

Thank you Gboy...
When I first saw her in her little cup she was lined up with two others I was choosing from.... And Lucy tipped her little head and looked directly up at me... That was it... Home she was.

ocminpin said:
Thank you Gboy...
When I first saw her in her little cup she was lined up with two others I was choosing from.... And Lucy tipped her little head and looked directly up at me... That was it... Home she was.

:'( dang..

So how are the perimeters?

Gboy66 said:
:'( dang..

So how are the perimeters?

I had done a 75% PWC 2 days prior... Nothing unusual.... I generally do 50-75% depending...
My mollies produce a lot of waste and I like to keep the water as it should be...
I got Lucy last September... Had her 8 mths... She grew from 1.5" to nearly 3.5" ... and flourished in my 29g...
Dumbfounded....

smomus said:
So sad! Sorry for your loss :(

Thank you... She's the hardest to date...

I'm going to get a flower pot and paint it.... Decorate it with paint somehow and paint her name on it...
And plant some seeds.... Not sure what ones... But colorful...
It aches ... Never thought it would hurt so much for a fish... But they aren't "just fish" .... They're our pets and we love them just as much as I love my dogs and cat.

ocminpin said:
Thank you... She's the hardest to date...

I'm going to get a flower pot and paint it.... Decorate it with paint somehow and paint her name on it...
And plant some seeds.... Not sure what ones... But colorful...
It aches ... Never thought it would hurt so much for a fish... But they aren't "just fish" .... They're our pets and we love them just as much as I love my dogs and cat.

Seems there is always one or 2 that steal your heart. I know if one of my bettas died I would be upset too. Especially Louis. The others, sad yes but not too much. The bettas are my favorite.

RIP Lucy...

I put a thin layer of dirt in her pot... Her in the cup (no water), put cup in pot... Sprinkled bloodworms, pellets and flakes over her body in the cup... Carefully covered with soil, put in plant, carefully filled soil in... And sprinkled gravel around surface of soil...

image-3705669770.jpg

That's sad when pets die.

I think she had a problem with her swim bladder. That is what keeps fish upright and also from doing flips and crazy stuff.

ocminpin said:
RIP Lucy...

I put a thin layer of dirt in her pot... Her in the cup (no water), put cup in pot... Sprinkled bloodworms, pellets and flakes over her body in the cup... Carefully covered with soil, put in plant, carefully filled soil in... And sprinkled gravel around surface of soil...

That is beautiful!

Im so sorry for your loss. I had a black molly that was with me for 2 years. She was my favorite fish. She was alone with a guppy for a while and then moved her where she made friends with my dalmation molly. I looked at her one day, turned around, turned back, and saw her floating there, eyes open, just floating. I scooped her out and looked at her. Then she started twitching and i thought she would make it. But she passed on. I buried her outside with my passed hamsters. :( and :)

Back
Top Bottom