RIP Velvet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
My guppy, Velvet, is dying. I mean really, almost dead... I found him laying in a plant but still breathing.

I moved him to a bowl so I wouldn't have to find him or he wouldn't be eaten when he died, and I gave him a tiny pinch of food and a plant to die under.

He's laying at the bottom right now, barely breathing.

Is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable as he dies...

I'm sorry. CoyoteWildfire told me that you guys had a guppy that was doing really bad. I'm not sure what to say about making him comfortable. You could euthanize him if he seems to be in a lot of pain.

Again, my condolences. :(

It's okay... he doesn't seem to be in pain... he's pretty peaceful honestly... I'd rather not euthanize him.

Unfortunately, this is the third one... the first one died yesterday, and we found a snail eating the second this morning.

Thank you for your condolences...

Rosenweiss said:
It's okay... he doesn't seem to be in pain... he's pretty peaceful honestly... I'd rather not euthanize him.

Unfortunately, this is the third one... the first one died yesterday, and we found a snail eating the second this morning.

Thank you for your condolences...

Yeah, I understand how you feel about that. I don't think I could euthanize a fish.

I've had problem after problem with my tank. First it was the first batch of guppies, that coyote tried to help me with, but I think it was just a weak batch. Now it's the panda cories. Ugh.

I wish I could help! But I don't know what the problem could be. I told coyote that after my guppies finally were living that I hoped I hadn't passed my misfortune on to him, but apparently I did! :(

Don't worry, of course it's not your fault!

It's really hard, because our parameters are really good and all our other fish are healthy... they're not showing any other symptoms of parasites or anything...

It's pretty depressing...

Ah well. I'm sorry about your panda cories... are they dying off too?

Rosenweiss said:
Don't worry, of course it's not your fault!

It's really hard, because our parameters are really good and all our other fish are healthy... they're not showing any other symptoms of parasites or anything...

It's pretty depressing...

Ah well. I'm sorry about your panda cories... are they dying off too?

Yeah.

My parameters were perfectly fine, I guess it's just because of the inbreeding to make the guppies so colorful and everything.

I know how depressing it gets. It made me think I wanted to give up at times, but I knew I could get through it...

Well, because of first the guppies and now these cories, I'm scouring the Internet looking for new fish stores. I've found two, one a half hour away, and the other a full hour. But even though they're not really local, at least they'll hopefully have a better chance of survival.

Yeah, I was thinking that, or it was just a weak batch to start with... I don't really trust that LFS now...

We JUST discovered a small LFS run by a really knowledgeable guy, so we hope to be able to visit there and they'll probably have better stock. I hope your new fish stores work for you, too.

Rosenweiss said:
Yeah, I was thinking that, or it was just a weak batch to start with... I don't really trust that LFS now...

We JUST discovered a small LFS run by a really knowledgeable guy, so we hope to be able to visit there and they'll probably have better stock. I hope your new fish stores work for you, too.

Yeah, EarlMay is mainly a garden store, and it's a Chainstore, so it hasn't really surprised me I guess.

Thanks. I'm sure everything will work itself out in time, just hang in there. Lol, I've been telling myself that a lot lately.

Yeah... I'll definitely keep hanging in there. It's sad, but I'm honestly glad it wasn't one of our older fish... or my glass cats!

Sorry about your guppies. :(

I know how hard it can be too. When I started my 5.5 gallon I tried 6 Neon Tetras from Walmart...go figure. They all died while I used QuICH Cure to treat the Ich I noticed right after getting them. Then I put 6 Zebra Danios from a local LFS in my 10 gallon. They were all dead in about 2 weeks from some unidentified disease. Finally I went to the last LFS in my area and I have not had a single critter die from him. Hope your next batch of guppies will do better. :)

Rosenweiss said:
Yeah... I'll definitely keep hanging in there. It's sad, but I'm honestly glad it wasn't one of our older fish... or my glass cats!

Yeah. Like, with my other fish, I had one zebra Danio from petsmart die when I brought it home, one peppered Cory that had acted strange the whole time anyway. And that's about it. All my problems with my pandas and guppies have been weak stock, etc.

It is pretty sad what things have come to in the fish industry. There are so many problems that have come from inbreeding: Dwarf Gourami Disease, weak immune systems, and the list goes on. Neon Tetras have apparently been awful for years. My parents added a bad batch to their community tank years back and said it ended up killing all of their fish.

Yeah... I'm sure it's not you... personally I don't think that our acclimation was properly done, but none of our other fish had drip acclimation either, and they did okay.

I guess there's always something to be learned.

It is pretty sad what things have come to in the fish industry. There are so many problems that have come from inbreeding: Dwarf Gourami Disease, weak immune systems, and the list goes on. Neon Tetras have apparently been awful for years. My parents added a bad batch to their community tank years back and said it ended up killing all of their fish.

Oh man...I really hope this guppy thing isn't contagious...

Rosenweiss said:
Yeah... I'm sure it's not you... personally I don't think that our acclimation was properly done, but none of our other fish had drip acclimation either, and they did okay.

I guess there's always something to be learned.

How did you acclimate? I don't have the stuff for drip Acclimation, and my fish that are surviving have done fine.

Thanks adadkins, I think probably that as well.

Betta, that was when we first learned you couldn't just float & dump, so we added a bit of tank water into the bag and did that about twice. I now know we should have done it several more times.

But to be honest, they were perfectly fine at first, and none of our other fish had any problems.

Thanks Tasha... luckily our fourth and last one seems to be doing okay, not showing symptoms like the other ones...

Rosenweiss said:
Thanks Tasha... luckily our fourth and last one seems to be doing okay, not showing symptoms like the other ones...

Keep us updated!!! Good luck to the sole survivor. I just knocked on wood for you. Literally. My desk is wood.

Back
Top Bottom