Ropefish can't stay down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ropefish, when I fist got it was always at the bottom of the tank swimming among the rocks and caves but since last night it has been floating at the top. I've seen it make attempts to swim back down but it always ends up back at the top of the tank. Sometime it will be swimming almost verticle with it's head down like it's fighting a current. Anyone know what's going on?

Swim bladder issue? Dunno. Wish I could help, but this should bump this thread back to the top. Maybe someone else could help. In the meantime, you could post your water parameters, tank size, temp, other fish in tank, etc... That will help the real experts here.

is your tank cycelled? temp? tankmates? it sounds like swim bladder, but with out these answers we cant really determine that yet.

Take some pictures. These animals are known air-gulpers so it could be something as simple, or not so simple, as excess air within their system.

some loaches can suck in air and will do the same thing untill it farts

I don't believe so. They do have a "lung" system and their gas bladder provides respiration so technically, they need to breathe air at the surface to stay alive. Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Back
Top Bottom