Rot, Fungus, Bacterial Problem.....Don't Know!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClassicRocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
First........we are Beginners/first aquarium!

Now, about our tank:
Marineland Eclipse 5 Hexagon, 5 gallon, Carbon Cartridge/Bio-Wheel Filtration, 1 male betta, 1 ghost shrimp, Moss Ball, 5 live plants, gravel, Betta Log, Small Swim-Thru décor. Every 10-day/20% w/c with Prime and sometimes 1/2 tsp Stress Coat Plus. Food: Omega One Buffet Betta Pellets and NLS Betta Pellets. Frozen Bloodworm as a once/twice a week treat.

Towards the end of last month we notice some white stuff in the anal fin. Anal fin is blue. Done a 5- day treatment of Jungle Lifeguard All-In-One and it all cleared up. Immediately after treatment, done a 25% w/c, w/Prime. 24 hrs later, put in 3.38 oz of TSS. Everything was fine. Water parameters were fine.

Last Thursday notice some white in dorsal and anal fins. Dorsal fin appeared to be twisted. Immediately started another 5-day treatment of Jungle Lifeguard............it worked perfect for us last time, so we figured. Now into our 4 day of treatment and white stuff still showing in fins. Dorsal fin looks half gone and looks a little twisted, but looks like he is swimming around fine. He hasn't lost his appetite at all thru the treatment.

Will finish this treatment, do a 50% w/c, Prime and 24 hours later put in another 3.38oz of TSS. Have our carbon cartridge out, but bio-wheel is where most of our bb is at and bio-wheel was left in during treatment (advised to us). So, TSS will add the bb we will need.

We really don't know what our betta, Stormy, has on 2 fins, but w/his appetite still great and swimming around nicely (seems), don't know what to do next.
One thing we DON'T want to do is..........over medicate the aquarium/him! After this treatment, w/c, Prime and TSS, will keep doing 20% (or higher) w/c and adding Prime and HOPE his fins get better.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Here is a photo of him showing part of his dorsal fin gone and condition of tail (?) fin. Photo just taken/downloaded to here.
img_2931199_0_6474c9ce5a0ac668b6c892ffce1f7945.jpg

He dosent really look too bad. Try to just minimize stress, you might be "overdoing it" with the daily changes. I have my kids beta in a bowl and it only gets 1x a week pwc.

Do you test your water?

20%/week doesnt sound adequate.... specially in a smaller tank...

Today is the last day for the Jungle Lifeguard treatment. Tomorrow I do a 25% (or more) w/c along with Prime. Just before doing the w/c, will put the old carbon cartridge back in the aquarium.......it's been sitting in some tank water. Also, while doing the w/c, will try to vacuum as much of the gravel as I can. I think that that was the problem that might have caused this fin problem. I was doing w/c's, but unless a person is doing a combo of a w/c and vacuuming the gravel, debris under the gravel stays. I was only sucking the water out of the aquarium with the vacuum, not going across/into the gravel.

On Thursday, will check the water parameters to see if a mini-cycle is needed. Had to do one w/TSS after we done the last Jungle Lifeguard treatment on the 1st of this month. But, we have a new 3.38oz bottle of TSS ready, if needed.

Before any questions are asked about doing a mini-cycle, our bio-wheel was left in and running during the med treatment and the med treatment most likely killed most of the bb on the bio-wheel. It's the bio-wheel, not the carbon cartridge that holds our bb.

After that, we will monitor his fins and go from there. One thing is for sure, we won't do another med treatment for at least a couple of weeks........don't want to over-medicate him. Hopefully some 25% or more w/c's and gravel vacuuming will help his fins get better.

NOT doing daily water changes. He and the aquarium have been on a 5-day treatment of Jungle Lifeguard w/no water changes. Tomorrow, as stated above, will be our first water change since early last week, day before we started the Jungle Lifeguard treatment.
Generally we do a 20% (or little more) water change every 7 to 10 days. What I think happened is, I didn't vacuum the gravel enough. I can only vacuum the gravel in half of the tank due to 3 live plants with roots under the gravel. I was doing water changes, but only sucking the water out of the tank, not touching the gravel where apparently there is considerable debris. Tomorrow, while doing the water change, will also vacuum the gravel as much as I can.

He dosent really look too bad. Try to just minimize stress, you might be "overdoing it" with the daily changes. I have my kids beta in a bowl and it only gets 1x a week pwc.

Yes, we test our water using test strips. Bought the API Master Kit, but took it back before using it. Test strips may not be very reliable, but we choose to use them.
Funny, the replier before you told me that they only change the water in their fish bowl 1x a week. Actually, I was told that a 20% water change is good, but for now will increase that to 35% and see how he does. BTW, our water parameters have been perfect before. What I think kicked this problem off was the debris under the gravel that I didn't clean up during a water change.

Do you test your water?

20%/week doesnt sound adequate.... specially in a smaller tank...

Ok, IF , by chance, the water changes don't work.........don't notice any change in the looks of his dorsal fin and tail fin and decide to do another med treatment, what is suggested that we go with?

Here is what I've found that our LFS carries.
All of them are brand, API:

BettaFix, Tetracycline, Fungus Cure, MelaFix, PimaFix, Triple Sulfa and E.M. Erythromycin

Now, if none of these are good, please recommend something, but I'd rather get the med from a local store, NOT online.

We plan on waiting a week or so, while doing water changes, to see if the fins get better.

UPDATE

Last Thursday (May 1st), started doing 40% water changes every-other day and adding Stress Coat Plus. During that time period, also vacuumed the gravel twice. Today will be our last "every-other day" water change. We will now do a water change every 3rd day for a week. After that, regular once-a-week water changes, but will continue using the Stress Coat Plus for healing/regrowth. His water temp is 84 w/the 10W Mini Heater plugged in (not adjustable). Was told the warmer water temp will help with healing, but if the water temp goes above 84, b/c of high outside temp, will unplug 'til nighttime. We want a healing/healthy beta, not a COOKED one!

Appears the fin rot has stopped.......no white spots showing. At least half of his dorsal fin is gone and some little holes in his anal fin, but he doesn't seem to have trouble swimming. And, still has his appetite!

Think we will take out the Floating Betta Log for awhile. He isn't sleeping in it like he use to. Will check his water parameters tonight. Have a bottle of TSS ready to go in if need be.

Today he's not real happy with us b/c it's his "fasting" day.

Any other recommendations?

ANOTHER UPDATE

Now doing a 20 to 40 percent w/c every 3 days or so for a week or so. Have changed back to using Prime from using Stress Coat Plus. Tested his water parameters this past Sunday and ammonia was slightly high (between 0 and 0.5). Have a 3.38 oz. bottle of TSS ready to put in shortly (but NOT the same day I do a w/c). Some extra bb won't hurt anything and will bring that ammonia level completely down to 0.

Turn the heater on sometimes at night, but turn it off in the morning. It's just too warm outside (here in northeastern Florida) to have it on during the day.

Don't know when his fins will grow back, but appears the bacteria is gone. Won't do another med treatment..........just the w/c's, Prime and vacuum the gravel.

We are going to get another Mixed Nerite Snail since two are recommended for a 5 gallon tank. Have one Ghost Shrimp, but might get one more.

Back
Top Bottom