Rummy-nose swim bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minyip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm just wondering if there are any ongoing issues in fish that have recovered from swim bladder issues.

One of my Rummy-nose tetras was having trouble swimming down last night which I'm pretty certain was caused by over-feeding. He was trying to go down but his tail would stay kinda verticle. He would also wiggle super hard trying to swim down, but as soon as he stopped he would drift back toward the surface.
I increased the tank temperature from 24 to 25 degrees Celsius and am going to fast them for a few days. After that I will definitely cut back on the amount I feed.
The reason I suspect over-feeding is because I'm pretty sure he only started having trouble swimming after I fed them. I didn't notice anything before that.
When I woke up this morning he seemed absolutely fine and was swimming up and down normally. I'm just wondering if this is likely to happen again in future or if it will affect him badly. Again, he seems completely fine now. Just wondering about long term affects.

Other info:
Water parameters 0 ammonia and nitrite. 5ppm NitrAte. Temp is now 25 C, pH 6.8.
Tank is 127 Liters. It's had fish in it for about a month and a half.
Filter is an inbuilt top filter with 1100L/Hr flow rate.
Other fish: 5 zebra/leopard danios, 3 pearl danios, 3 rummy-nose (total), 1 bristlenose (4cm).
Did a 20% water change and vacuum about a week ago.
Recently added a new piece of driftwood and a cryptocoryne and anubias.
Currently feeding tropical flakes and algae wafers for the bristlenose (but the other fish love stealing them). I did recently switch to a colour enhancing tropical flake from regular ones.

Thanks in advance!

If you think the issue was caused by overfeeding, the fish is no longer suffering from this, and you are planning on cutting back on the feeding, i would just keep an eye on things.

Back
Top Bottom