Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You know the Petco in Fenton is rather picky about their fish which I find unusual. They won't recommend anything to me because of my barbs. They think my babies are evil. I've steered clear of them in the last year or so since I've read some rather discouraging stories about the chains.

You've mentioned the place on Chippewa before, but I never go that direction so I haven't tried it yet. I'll give Pet Market place a try next time I go down there. Ted Drewes is probably open by now.

Andy's isn't that far from my house, so I'll give it a whirl in the near future and let you know how it is.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never had a problem with PMP's fish. But then again we usually only go up that way maybe once a month. I wasn't impressed with Tropical World's African selection. They have the commons, but that's about it. The really good looking ones are in the display tank. Figures. We don't buy small fish since most of ours are of adult size. And of course they don't sell the ones that are large. The only thing I was impressed with in that store was the price of NLS and their angels.

If you really want to be blown away by variety of Africans, check out Malawi Aquatics. It feels a little shady when you are in there. James thought it was a front for an illegal business. But they have a huge selection and alot of rare finds.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
i've heard of malawi aquatics too. but have never been there.
the only real problem i have with PMP is their middle section (the part where it's just a bunch of stacked tanks with no decorations or substrate, just fish, every tank sharing the same filtration system). their fish in there always look really stressed! (hmm no substrate and overcrowded, i wonder why?)
we've bought blue rams from them recently, we thought of it as "saving them" lol

but sorry i got side-tracked from the rummy-nose subject.

what do you guys feed your rummy noses? mine only seem to eat brokem up tubifex worm cubes, and ignore everything else. hmmm

also, since these fish are so sensitive, does that mean that a few more of mine might die when i transfer them from the QT to the main tank? i hope not!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine eat NLS pellets and flake.

55 Gallon Community
Old 03-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm what exactly is NLS?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Life Spectrum. The staple for our Africans diet is New Life Sprectrum Cichlid Formula because IMO it is the best pellet on the market. We have noticed a great improvement in coloration and activity when we switched to the NLS. About a month ago we went up to Tropical and noticed that they had a Community Formula pellet. Ever since then, that has been their staple diet. And I must admit, the red noses seem a little more vibrant in addition to the Angels coloration.

55 Gallon Community
Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright, cool! i'll have to try that

hmm, do any of you know if rummy nose are susceptible to neon tetra disease? i have a few of mine that don't school with the others (sometimes they do), they kind of go off and do their own thing, and then join back with the group. a couple of them also seem kind of skinny and listless sometimes. :-/
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure if rummies are susceptible to neon tetra disease. I've never encountered it before so I can't say for certain. Thankfully we haven't had any fish die to disease in over a year, ich included.

55 Gallon Community
Old 03-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, it looks like another rummy nose died because now i only count 7. this SUCKS! i spent too much money on these fish, and now they're all dying
if any of you have any idea what could be wrong with them, i'd appreciate it!
today i looked at them, and they actually looked like all of them were swimming around happily, even the really skinny ones that usually act lethargic seemed happy. except, there's one less.
my dad got my all paranoid when he asked me if they were susceptible to neon tetra disease, which i have only found limited information on from internet searches.
all i've found out about it is that it's a parasite, the schooling fish become seperated from the group, the fish will act lethargic, and in some cases their spine curves. well so far i've noticed that my rummy nose don't completely "school" all of the time, they only school MOST of the time. sometimes they just scatter about everywhere, but most of the time either most of them are in a school and a few are seperated, or all of them are.

any thoughts on this?

Tags
nose, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com