Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to hear about your rummy's. In all honesty, there's
not be much more you can do other than what you've been doing.
Rummy's are unfortunately very sensitive fish and I've read and experienced
Die off within a week.... This after they look like they're doing well.

jcolon said:
I'm sorry to hear about your rummy's. In all honesty, there's
not be much more you can do other than what you've been doing.
Rummy's are unfortunately very sensitive fish and I've read and experienced
Die off within a week.... This after they look like they're doing well.

It's very frustrating.

I'm sorry you're having problems. My rummies are amongst my favorites but, as you've seen, they demand steady water parameters. For every 12 that you buy, expect to lose at least 3 or 4.

I did find that mine improved dramatically on two occasions. When a) I removed my kribs from the tank and b) when there were additional tannins in the tank.

They do really well with lots of schools of fish their size. It increases their comfort level a lot.

While they are distressed, don't worry about feeding them. Keep the tank darker than usual, too.

jcolon said:
I feel your pain... Drove me nuts to see mine start swimming In a cork screw pattern after a few days of doing well. Keep at it... Don't let this discourage you.
Hold off on feeding for a few days.

Why hold off feeding? I was assuming if they eat it would give them strength to get through this. I'll keep on keeping on. I'll get the hang of it soon I hope.

You know how when you feel really blah you don't want to eat? All you want to do is crawl under the covers and hide? That's how I treat my fish when they don't feel well. I allow them the quiet and darkness and solitude.

LyndaB said:
You know how when you feel really blah you don't want to eat? All you want to do is crawl under the covers and hide? That's how I treat my fish when they don't feel well. I allow them the quiet and darkness and solitude.

That makes alot of sense!

Mumma.of.two said:
Test with the low range kit. Most if my tanks are right on where one stops and the other starts. 7.6-8. I get that color occasionally. Really annoying.

I tested and it was bright blue. I got a new Marineland emperor 400 filter today! I've still got one of my other filters running to keep my BB up and strong.

I put some peat moss in some panty hose and added it into the "filter media" basket of my new filter. I made sure the kind i bought didn't have any fertilizers or anything added to it. I also added the pool filter sand, which looks great but still clouded my water. I turned the filters back on. Will the cloudy water hurt my filter or is it ok to run. Will the water settle faster if I have everything off for around 30 mins?

My two rummy nose tetras are doing well swimming around. I'm hoping they survive my latest tank modifications and that my pH lowers a little more and then I can leave everything alone. I feel like I'm messing with it every ten minutes!

My plants feel way more secure in the sand than they did in the gravel.

Good news! The last two Rummies are doing great. They are swimming around calmly and enjoying themselves.

Apparently I did not rinse the sand really well. I thought I rinsed it good enough but when I poured it in it really clouded my water. I did a 15 gallon water change. It still looks like someone poured a glass of milk into it. I am absolutely done messing with it. The water will clear up eventually right? I've got a Marineland emperor 400 on it now and I'm still running my small tetra 5-10 gallon filter (for the bb). I feel like my plants are in good spots as well as my driftwood. I have peat moss in my media baskets. I'm just going to let it run and test my water everyday and see if the last 2 fish stay alive. If I can keep these 2 alive for a few more days I'll go get some more so they have a better school. I really think I need to just let it settle down now.

They may be uncomfortable with all that open area in that tank. Can you at least stick some silk plants in to give them something to hide around?

LyndaB said:
They may be uncomfortable with all that open area in that tank. Can you at least stick some silk plants in to give them something to hide around?

Yeah. I have some plastic ones in the garage that I can clean up and put in. They came with the tank. I'm going to bleach them and then soak them in water with a water conditioner. Who knows what kind of amoebas could be on those things... I'd rather have silk or live but I'm not planning a trip to the pet store today.

It wasn't so open when I had my awesome rock caves... Stupid rocks and their stupid pH raising properties...

Thank you for noticing that. I would not have thought about the fact that they had no place to hide.

I've had rummies for years now. I just love them, one of my favorite fish. It's only through experience with them that I learned that they prefer a dimmer tank overall and feel safer with decor around them.

LyndaB said:
I've had rummies for years now. I just love them, one of my favorite fish. It's only through experience with them that I learned that they prefer a dimmer tank overall and feel safer with decor around them.

I appreciate your help. I love them and think they are so pretty and neat! Before they started dying I was enjoying watching them swim all over the tank. I'm soaking the plants now, and I will put them in the tank once I have them rinsed and dechlorinated. I plan on getting more probably in a few days (saturday? Is that too soon?) when my tank has settled down. If I can get my pH down and keep these two alive I think they'd be happier having 4 or 5 more friends.

I have a dozen of them. With this species, the more the merrier. Their comfort level also increases if the tank contains lots of other fish their size.

LyndaB said:
I have a dozen of them. With this species, the more the merrier. Their comfort level also increases if the tank contains lots of other fish their size.

How's this? I hate plastic plants personally but this will have to do until I get more live plants.

I want to have a school of rummy nose, and a school of black and blue neons. If I can get my pH stable and low, to 6.5 or 7 I would like to get a pair of German blue rams.

That's better. I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Anywhere you can create shadows in the tank, that's where they'll tend to make their little territory.

Back
Top Bottom