Rummynose Tetras not getting food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My rummies aren't getting much food thanks to the guppies. Tips?

Emerald76

What are you feeding? Small sinking pellets may work better than a floating food.

If the guppies are just not letting the food fall far enough you could either switch to all sinking food or try feeding more food at a time but less often.

My rummynose are fairly aggressive feeders so I have not had this issue.

Hi. My rummy nose are in with about 6 other species of tetra and are defo the bottom of the food chain. I found by not crumbling the flake so small that the fish at a higher level take the larger flakes and in doing so break off smaller bits which float down to lower in the tank. Now, whilst the bully boys are fighting at the top the rummy nose are clearing up on the spoils. I feed my Cory's on catfish pellets and the rummy nose come and pinch them too. I also feed the middle of the tank first and then a little at each end about a minute later when the first fish up are not so keen to fight for the food. I think it's just a case of trying different techniques until you hit on the best feeding regime. I love feeding time!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I've seen too! I will try that and try to get them more aggressive as I'm going to have cories, an angel, rams, and Cherry barbs in too.

Emerald76

Also, my tank is heavily planted and the rummy nose seem to lurk in the cover it provides. The blood fins, harlequins, black tetras and diamond tetras are out all the time. The rummy nose, glow lights and red phantoms like to hang around the plant and bog wood caves until feeding time. The Cory's also like the cover and come out on and off during the day but come out all evening. The bristle nose only shows his face late evening, staying in his cave all day. I find it fascinating to observe the different behaviour of the different species.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What I always find interesting about the behavior of most tetras is how their behavior changes in large groups.

I have a little over 30 rummynose in my display tank and they never hide.

What I always find interesting about the behavior of most tetras is how their behavior changes in large groups.

I have a little over 30 rummynose in my display tank and they never hide.

I have 8 with 6 mixed neons/cardinals and they are always out and about, all over the place, follow the male gbr around, by far my most active and visually pleasing tank as far as fauna go..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom