Sailfin Pleco Hurt! Blind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starmagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! My name is Meghan. I have a Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys Gibbiceps) and a female (fully grown) Reeves turtle living together in about a 45-gallon tank (I know it's a bit small). There are no other tank mates and they have been living together for almost a year now. I've had my turtle longer than the fish.

My water temperature is always between 24.5-26 degrees Celsius (76.1-78.8 Fahrenheit). I do not have anything to measure the parameters, but my tank has been running for about two years so it is cycled.

I have a pier for my turtle (Pier has hiding spots for pleco); pebble-like substrate; a rock for my pleco to hide under; a few fake plants (No real plants in the tank); two good filters; a bubbler to oxygenate the water; and a thermometer.

Here's the issue:

My Pleco has been acting quite strange. I woke up at about 6:00 am and noticed that my pleco was quite hyper. Usually, he is very chill and hangs out under the pier and under his rock. I know plecos are nocturnal so they come out at night, but he has been swimming all over the tank for hours now (Currently 10:45 am)! He swims up the glass and makes his nose poke out of the water very often. I noticed that he has been swimming into the glass and other objects. There's plenty of free room to swim around and he is only about 5 inches long (~13cm). He has developed white spots on his nose where he bumped into things along with a couple other spots on his body (Not ick.) I'm very worried that he is not going to heal or that he is blind.

-Last Water Change: ~2 weeks ago
-Last Time I Cleaned Filters, Tank, and Objects:~2 weeks ago

*I accidentally used flash on him I think yesterday night. Would this have to do anything with it? (I've done it a couple times before [accidentally], but he was always fine after a couple minutes.)

Please help! Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4057.jpg
    IMG_4057.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
You should test your water or at least do a water change or 2. There's probably to much toxic in the water. Just my thought. They are both getting bigger and more waste.

Back
Top Bottom