Salt and Cory Cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I recently went through a spell of fin rot. The tank is clear of that but my angel fish have some mysterious white dots on their fins. (I have asked many opinions and cannot identify them, but i know it is NOT ich.) Anyways, I have been doing daily water changes of 30 to 35% to clear this up. This is not my question though, what i am wondering is should I salt the water? I have two cory catfish in the tank and I was wondering, would the salt hurt the catfish or the angels? I was going to do about 1 tablespoon per every 5 to 10 gal. in a 55. Any advice would help.
Info on tank....
2 Emperor 400 biowheel filters
and an undergravel system.
Temp. is 82-84 for disease eradication.
Parameters are all 0 and nitrate is < 5 ppm. Ph is 7.1
Stock: Two yellow veil angelfish and 2 calico marble angels, Two cory catfish.

I do 1 tsp to 1g salt to all my tanks and everyone is fine. Most fish like the electrolytes and it helps with disease.
FYI , Voogle is an awesome homeopathic med for fish for Fin Rot, bacterial fungal stuff, helped heal my Cory's ripped fin

If you ARE to add salt, add it SUPER slowly over the course of several hours. Corys are very intolerant of salt, but if added very gradually they can be OK for a few days.

Also, salt tolerance varies from fish to fish. I can go in to more detail if you wish, but in a nutshell, some are more tolerant than others due to their natural habitats. I would advise AGAINST regularly adding salt to this tank, the salt tolerance of these fish are not as great. If the salt doesn't seem to help the angel's unidentified issue, I would do water changes to remove the salt and stop adding it, because then it may start doing more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom